Is PBS's Layman Explanation of E=mc^2 Accurate?

• Thread starter trewsx7
  • Start date
In summary: I think you're right that part of the article is wrong. It's not correct to say that energy has dimensions of mass times velocity-squared. Energy has dimensions of mass multiplied by the speed of light.
trewsx7
Newbie here with a question on an article I read on the PBS website regarding the e=mc^2 equation and whether or not it is factualy accurate (yet extremeley simplified) for a non-mathematical layman's description of the equation.

Regarding the reasoning for the speed-of-light in the equation, the article in part reads:

"So why would you have to multiply the mass by the speed of light to determine how much energy is bound up inside it? The reason is that whenever you convert part of a piece of matter to pure energy, the resulting energy is by definition moving at the speed of light. Pure energy is electromagnetic radiation—whether light or X-rays or whatever—and electromagnetic radiation travels at a constant speed of roughly 670,000,000 miles per hour."

The article, of course, then explains the reasons for squaring and so forth, but in regards to the aforementioned paragraph on c, is it correct on a layman's level? If not, what parts of the preceding description is wrong (or right)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Roughly. There's an explanation over at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass–energy_equivalence under the section "Einstein: Mass–energy equivalence".

The derivation I remember has to do with the work energy theorem, but I can't for the life of me remember it. I'll have to consult an old first-year text.

trewsx7 said:
… the article in part reads:

"So why would you have to multiply the mass by the speed of light to determine how much energy is bound up inside it? The reason is that whenever you convert part of a piece of matter to pure energy, the resulting energy is by definition moving at the speed of light."

… but in regards to the aforementioned paragraph on c, is it correct on a layman's level? If not, what parts of the preceding description is wrong (or right)?

Hi trewsx7! :smile:

I think that part of the article is rubbish. :frown:

The simple explanation is that energy has dimensions of mass times velocity-squared.

In Newtonian dynamics, energy was proportional to 1/2mv², which is zero for zero velocity (so the rest energy is zero), and already incorporates a velocity-squared.

In relativity, energy is proportional to 1/√(1 - v²/c²), which is not zero for zero velocity (so the rest energy is not zero), and is a dimensionless number, and so must be multiplied by a velocity-squared constant, which is obviously the rest energy.

Furthermore, 1/√(1 - v²/c²) = 1 + 1/2v²/c² for small v, so the constant must be mc² to agree with Newtonian dynamics and obvious low-speed experiments.

So the rest energy must have a factor of c². :smile:

Last edited:
trewsx7 said:
Newbie here with a question on an article I read on the PBS website regarding the e=mc^2 equation and whether or not it is factualy accurate (yet extremeley simplified) for a non-mathematical layman's description of the equation.

Regarding the reasoning for the speed-of-light in the equation, the article in part reads:

"So why would you have to multiply the mass by the speed of light to determine how much energy is bound up inside it? The reason is that whenever you convert part of a piece of matter to pure energy, the resulting energy is by definition moving at the speed of light. Pure energy is electromagnetic radiation—whether light or X-rays or whatever—and electromagnetic radiation travels at a constant speed of roughly 670,000,000 miles per hour."

The article, of course, then explains the reasons for squaring and so forth, but in regards to the aforementioned paragraph on c, is it correct on a layman's level? If not, what parts of the preceding description is wrong (or right)?

Thanks
To me this sounds completely wrong. The equation is valid even when massive particles are produced and they do not move at the speed of light at all. I am sorry, but it sounds like someoen trying to justify an equation by using a totally unjustified argument. Sometimes people use "layman arguments" to explain some aspects of physics which are more or less correct but still useful to get the basic idea across. This example is completely wrong even at the simplest qualitative level. I am surprised of that from PBS.

trewsx7 said:
Note: That expression only holds in the special case of a closed system. The mass and inertial energy of a rod under stress may not obey that relationship.

Pete

Related to Is PBS's Layman Explanation of E=mc^2 Accurate?

1. What is the role of a physicist in the scientific community?

A physicist is a scientist who studies the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, with a focus on understanding the behavior of matter and energy. Their work involves conducting experiments, developing theories, and using mathematical models to explain and predict physical phenomena.

2. How does a physicist approach problem-solving?

Physicists use the scientific method to approach problem-solving. This involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing the results to develop theories and explanations for natural phenomena.

3. What are the main areas of study within physics?

The main areas of study within physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other subfields include astrophysics, particle physics, and biophysics.

4. Why is physics considered a fundamental science?

Physics is considered a fundamental science because it provides the foundation for understanding all other sciences. Its principles and laws apply to all natural phenomena, from the smallest particles to the largest galaxies.

5. How does physics impact our daily lives?

Physics has a significant impact on our daily lives, from the technology we use to the laws and principles that govern our physical world. From electricity and magnetism that power our devices to the laws of motion that govern our movement, physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives.