Is PID Control Possible for a 2nd Order System?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a PID control system with a 2nd order correction factor, including terms for the 2nd derivative, 1st derivative, error, 1st integral, and 2nd integral. The output would be a linear combination of these terms, and it is possible to create such a controller using the chain rule. However, using a controller of higher order than the system being controlled can lead to instability and is not commonly used in practical applications.
Jhenrique
PID of "2nd order"?

Exist PID control of "2nd order"? Ie., a command system of correction to error that includes a factor of correction proportional to 2nd derivative, another proportional to 1nd derivative, another proportional directly to error, another proportional to 1nd integral and another proportional to 2nd integral? Is mathematically possible to project a system so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider posting in your native language. I don't know what "2nd integral" means. I don't know what "project a system" means. (FYI, in English: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, then 4th-9th (0th), only the right-most place is considered.)
Consider a PID with (P,I,D) values of (0,1,0). If that signal is fed into another PID (0,1,0) you will have what I guess you mean by "2nd Order". 2nd Order usually refers to derivatives,(differentials), not integrals. It is ambiguous whether "2nd Order" in an integral means (∫fdx)² or ∫(∫fdx)dy (or even ∫(∫fdx)dx ).
It should be clear that any number of (P,I,D) units can be set up in a circuit (parallel and/or series) to get any "order" you wish. It is NOT at all clear to me whether most of these circuits would be effective or efficient, but that obviously depends on the exact control environment.
SO, if I interpret your question correctly: output will be proportional to a linear combination of 5 variables:
P,I, D and I→I' and D→D' that is: aP+bI+cD+eD'+fI'. I see no problem creating such a controller (using the chain rule).
I forgot to note that I am familiar with second derivative (2nd order derivative) controllers, just not second Integral (but am not a control engineer, and am far far out of school).
Consider I=b∫xdt and G=z∫IdD -- note that G is an integral with respect to the signal D (the derivative of the input). This has what I would call "mixed" order. For a "second-line" controller, its input can be the "raw" signal or some combination of that with the output of one or more "first-line" controllers, this is what I mean by a circuit. There are a HUGE number of possibilities.

Last edited:
In the s-domain, the PID operators are (respectively) ##k_P \frac{1}{s}##, ##k_I## and ##k_D s##, being k the proportionality constant. A PID of 2nd order, would have the following operators in the s-domain: ##k_{P2} \frac{1}{s^2}##, ##k_{P1} \frac{1}{s}##, ##k_I##, ##k_{D1} s## and ##k_{D2} s^2##.

And an "integral of 2nd order" could be given by Cauchy formula for repeated integration (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_formula_for_repeated_integration)

Do you understand my ideia? If yes, it is possible or has some absurd?

If the process you want to control can be described by a differential equation of order n, using a controller of order > n can create instability, limit cycles in a nonlinear system, etc.

Most of the differential equations in physics are of order 1 or 2, so there is not much practical use for higher order controllers.

AlephZero said:
If the process you want to control can be described by a differential equation of order n, using a controller of order > n can create instability, limit cycles in a nonlinear system, etc.

Most of the differential equations in physics are of order 1 or 2, so there is not much practical use for higher order controllers.

This: (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/91/PID_en_updated_feedback.svg) is a comum PID. I'm proposing a PID like this:

PID2.png

This system isn't a system of high order, or it is?

You can propose anything you like. I already told you why there is not much practical use for it.

Related to Is PID Control Possible for a 2nd Order System?

1. What is a PID of 2nd order?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) of 2nd order is a control system that uses three components (proportional, integral, and derivative) to regulate a process. It is a type of feedback control system commonly used in engineering and science to control and stabilize a system.

2. How does a PID of 2nd order work?

A PID of 2nd order works by continuously measuring the error (difference between desired and actual output) and adjusting the control signal based on the proportional, integral, and derivative components. The proportional component responds to the immediate error, the integral component integrates the error over time, and the derivative component predicts future error based on the current rate of change.

3. What are the advantages of using a PID of 2nd order?

Some of the advantages of using a PID of 2nd order include its ability to handle complex systems with multiple inputs and outputs, its adaptability to various systems, and its robustness against disturbances and external factors. It also provides fast and accurate control, making it a popular choice in many industries.

4. What are the limitations of a PID of 2nd order?

Some of the limitations of a PID of 2nd order include its reliance on accurate and consistent measurements, its inability to handle non-linear systems, and its tendency to overshoot or oscillate in certain situations. It also requires tuning and adjustments to optimize its performance for different systems.

5. How is a PID of 2nd order used in real-life applications?

A PID of 2nd order has a wide range of applications in various industries, including robotics, manufacturing, aerospace, and process control. It is used to regulate systems such as temperature, speed, pressure, and flow. Examples of its use in everyday life include temperature control in ovens and air conditioners, cruise control in cars, and autopilot in aircraft.