Is Planck Time Not Considered in Mainstream Physics Theories?

In summary, you were told that there are no mainstream physics theories, which involve discrete time. The question is why this variable is not a main component of these theories. You were also asked how adding recognition about a role that the smallest time/distance measurable period might take in these theories, is not a theoretical move. The answer is that this is not how one formulates a theory.
roineust
Hello!

I was told, that there are no mainstream physics theories, in which time is discrete.

My question is this:

At any present or any given future scenario, there will always exist the smallest amount of time, that a machine is able to measure. How come this variable, is not a main component of mainstream physics theories?

Physics news on Phys.org
roineust said:
Hello!

I was told, that there are no mainstream physics theories, in which time is discrete.

My question is this:

At any present or any given future scenario, there will always exist the smallest amount of time, that a machine is able to measure. How come this variable, is not a main component of mainstream physics theories?

"Mainstream physics" are theories and idea that have been verified convincingly by experiment.

You are also confusing a measured time using our metric versus the concept of time that is independent of our measuring devices. Just because we have a limit on how small of a time period that we can measure doesn't mean our description of time has that kind of discreteness. How come you didn't care that we also have the same limitation in how small of a distance that we can measure as well? That doesn't mean that our space dimension is also discrete. It could be, but it has nothing to do with what we are using to measure it!

Zz.

I do care that we also have the same limitation in how small of a distance we can measure ! If we know the speed of light, then one of them is enough to know the other, isn't that right? if that is correct, then isn't it the same variable? So, my question is, why & is that distance/time variable, a major part of mainstream physics theories and if it is, how exactly?

If the answer is that it is not a part of mainstream theories, and "...it has nothing to do with what we are using to measure it!..." - then i don't understand that answer, please try to elaborate...

Thanks.

roineust said:
I do care that we also have the same limitation in how small of a distance we can measure ! If we know the speed of light, then one of them is enough to know the other, isn't that right? if that is correct, then isn't it the same variable? So, my question is, why & is that distance/time variable, a major part of mainstream physics theories and if it is, how exactly?

If the answer is that it is not a part of mainstream theories, and "...it has nothing to do with what we are using to measure it!..." - then i don't understand that answer, please try to elaborate...

Thanks.

We have theories that describe a certain part of our world. We use instruments to verify that theory. Our instruments have limitations, but the results that we get are consistent with the theory. Thus, we accept that the theory is valid, for now. The more validation we get, the better we know that theory and how to use it. Eventually, it becomes convincing enough that it moves from the research front area, into the mainstream physics that we teach students in schools.

Our understanding of that phenomenon described by that theory is NOT governed by the instrument that we use. It is the theory that describes it. Now, apply it to space and time. What is the theory that is so well-known and so accepted that deals with space and time that it has become part of mainstream physics? Special and General Relativity! Now, does it contain discrete space and time in that theory?

Zz.

So, you are saying that adding to existing theories, a recognition about a role, that the smallest time/distance measurable period, might take in these theories, is not a theoretical move?

roineust said:
So, you are saying that adding to existing theories, a recognition about a role, that the smallest time/distance measurable period, might take in these theories, is not a theoretical move?

Try it! And then try to justify how you can still use calculus in such a situation. At what point does the differential equations that are the starting point for many of such description still makes sense?

This is not how one formulates a theory.

Zz.

This is exactly what i am trying to understand, for a very long time - how an idea transforms into math and the problems surrounding this process. i even searched for courses on the subject, but couldn't find one.

Can you give me a more detailed, and simple as possible, example, including the math, how an idea or a theory becomes a differential equation and how assuming that a measuring equipment has a minimum time/distance variable, disrupts this process of converting a theory into math?

Please take into consideration that my math knowledge is a graduate's at most.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
roineust said:
Why should it be? Is there any accepted evidence to suggest that it is a fundamental part of the structure of the universe rather than a simple technological limitation?

How do physicists tell the difference, between fundamental part of the structure of the universe and a simple technological limitation?

You can find a way to overcome one of them. And that is one-sentence summary of what experimentalists have been doing, ever since the time of Galileo.

But you can't change the other one!

I was under the impression that Planck time was generally accepted as the smallest possible unit of time.

Related to Is Planck Time Not Considered in Mainstream Physics Theories?

1. What is the definition of discrete time theories?

Discrete time theories are mathematical models that describe the behavior of systems over a sequence of discrete time steps. In contrast to continuous time theories, which describe the behavior of systems over a continuous time interval, discrete time theories break time into discrete units or steps.

2. What are the advantages of using discrete time theories?

One of the main advantages of discrete time theories is their ability to accurately model systems with discrete events or changes, such as digital signal processing and computer simulations. They also allow for easier implementation and analysis using computers, as they do not require the use of calculus.

3. How are discrete time theories different from continuous time theories?

Discrete time theories differ from continuous time theories in that they model systems over a sequence of discrete time steps rather than a continuous time interval. This means that the behavior of a system is only observed at specific points in time, rather than being continuously observed.

4. What are some examples of discrete time theories?

Some examples of discrete time theories include difference equations, Markov chains, and finite state machines. These theories are commonly used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and computer science to model and analyze systems.

5. How are discrete time theories used in real-world applications?

Discrete time theories are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including digital signal processing, computer simulations, and financial modeling. They are also used in control systems, such as in robotics and automation, to accurately model the behavior of discrete events and make predictions for future states of the system.