Is Poker Just Luck? Comparing it to the Basket Game

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Peng says that poker is just like the basket game, with some elements that affect the outcome. He says that if someone is bluffing, or has a better hand, then they will be paid off according to the odds of the game. He explains that in limit holdem, you can only bet a certain amount, which makes it easier for the player to make decisions.
Physics_wiz
If I give you a basket with three balls in it, 2 reds and 1 white, then ask you to draw a ball randomly from the basket; if you get a red you pay me $1, if you get a white I pay you $4...would you do it?

Now, I know that this is still "gambling" and that you could lose all your money and go broke if you keep on doing it, but most people would love to play me because there is more chance you will make money than lose money. I see poker as the same exact thing, but with 52 balls instead of 3. You HAVE to use probability to increase your chances of winning, otherwise you will increase your chances of losing.

I keep getting all this nonsense from some people telling me how poker is all luck and that's it. The more luck you have, the more money you make. Am I right about thinking of poker in the same terms as the basket game? There are other elements in poker that affect the outcome, like tells, but if you play online, the tells part is minimized.

Some people can't even grasp the concept of odds and probability, especially when playing with 52 different cards and they start thinking it's mostly "luck". What is "luck"? If I'm playing the basket game and draw a red ball, I can say that I got unlucky and go cry over it OR I can just keep playing and overcome "luck". I know that I can't prove that I will be able to overcome luck if I keep playing, but there is more chance that I will. In the practical world, playing the basket game over and over will most likely make you pretty rich...right? What do you think? Am I wrong? Is poker just "luck"? Am I justified in thinking of poker (ie. limit holdem) as the basket game?

Physics news on Phys.org
Poker is all bluff. So many games go to the person who can convince others that he has a good hand.
And you need to make choices in between. If someone raises, are you in or out?
Playing dice, roulette or blackjack is much easier, and counting probabilities can surely help you there.

Alright, let's say that someone is bluffing, or even has a better hand than you, and bets $1. You see how much is in the pot already and add that to the amount he bet and that's what you're getting paid off ($4 in the basket game). You count how many "white" cards are in the deck and how many "reds", count the chances of getting each, and see if you're getting paid enough to play the game or not.

PS. I'm not talking about NL holdem that you see on TV, because in that game, you can just go all in every hand and then the other players will never have good odds to call. I'm talking about limit holdem in which you can only bet a certain amount

Peng is my friend...I'm the friend he was trying to convince of coin flips not being 50 50 and he was logged in from my ip, so it auto logged me back in as Peng and I posted that last reply using Peng instead of Physics_wiz. Sorry about that.

Related to Is Poker Just Luck? Comparing it to the Basket Game

What is the difference between poker and the basket game?

Poker is a card game that involves betting and strategy, while the basket game is a physical game that involves throwing a ball into a basket. They are both games of skill, but have different rules and objectives.

How is poker played?

Poker is typically played with a standard deck of 52 cards. Players are dealt a hand of cards and must use their skills and knowledge of the game to make the best possible hand or bluff their opponents into thinking they have the best hand. The player with the best hand or the last player standing wins the pot.

What are the rules of the basket game?

The rules of the basket game vary depending on the specific game being played, but generally involve players taking turns throwing a ball into a basket or hoop. Points are awarded based on the difficulty of the shot and the first player to reach a certain number of points wins the game.

Which game requires more skill, poker or the basket game?

Both poker and the basket game require a certain level of skill to be successful. Poker requires strategy, probability, and reading opponents, while the basket game requires physical skill and accuracy. Ultimately, it depends on the individual's strengths and abilities.

Is there a connection between poker and the basket game?

There is no direct connection between poker and the basket game. However, both games require skill and strategy, and many players of one game may also enjoy playing the other. Both games also have a competitive aspect and can be played for fun or for stakes.