Is Potential Energy Infinite at Any Point for Point Masses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of potential energy in relation to a body's center of gravity. The participants consider different reference points and the implications of the inverse square force law for point masses. It is concluded that classical physics may not be applicable for point objects or that point masses may not truly exist.
MicroCosmos
Hi everyone, first post here.

Today i crushed into a question. I was going to write it down here, then i crushed into another one.
Lets say we want to know the potential energy of a body relative to a center of gravity.
I will refer to gravitys acceleration as "g" and to mass as "m". "k" will be some constant unit.

If we take a near, lower height(h) as reference it would be "m·g·h" because g doesn't change with h.

But if i want to reference to the center of gravity, because of g(h) = k/h2, i can't use that anymore. I suppose i need ∫m*g(h) dh from 0 to the wanted height. That supposes potential energy is infinite at any point !

Some ideas? Am i doing something wrong?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The inverse square force law applies for point masses and for spherically symmetric masses acting on outside objects. Once an object dips into the interior of a gravitating body, the portion of the gravitating body higher in altitude than the object ceases to have any net effect. See Newton's spherical shell theorem.

So let's say that we are talking about a point mass. Then yes, the potential energy measured against a reference at the gravitating point is infinite. You can take that as a clue that you should be selecting a different reference point, that the laws of classical physics cannot hold for point objects or both.

The alternate reference point that is normally chosen is one infinitely far away. So that potential energy is always negative and gets more negative the closer you get to the center.

Likes Dale and MicroCosmos
Yes, i meant point masses. Okay, that clears everything, thank you very much!

jbriggs444 said:
So let's say that we are talking about a point mass. Then yes, the potential energy measured against a reference at the gravitating point is infinite. You can take that as a clue that you should be selecting a different reference point, that the laws of classical physics cannot hold for point objects or both.

Or that point masses don't really exist!

Likes MicroCosmos and Dale
jtbell said:
Or that point masses don't really exist!
what ?

Fundamental particles like electrons are thought to be point masses. But classical mechanics breaks down at those scales.

FAQ: Is Potential Energy Infinite at Any Point for Point Masses?

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated by multiplying the object's mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object above a reference point. This can be represented by the equation PE = mgh, where m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

3. Can potential energy be infinite?

Theoretically, yes. According to the equation for potential energy, as the height of an object approaches infinity, the potential energy also approaches infinity. However, in real-world scenarios, this is not possible as there are always limitations on height and mass.

4. What happens if an object has infinite potential energy?

If an object were to have infinite potential energy, it would essentially mean that it has an infinite amount of stored energy. This would result in the object having an extremely high amount of kinetic energy, and it would likely cause massive and destructive forces.

5. Is infinite potential energy possible?

Infinite potential energy is not possible in our known universe. While the concept may exist in theoretical and mathematical models, in reality, there are always limitations and boundaries that prevent an object from having truly infinite energy. The concept of infinite potential energy is used to understand and describe the relationship between an object's position and its energy.