Is potential energy only acquired in a *Conservative Field*?

In summary, potential energy is the energy gained when an object is brought to a ground position or state, and is dependent on the path taken to reach it. When considering conservative forces, potential energy can be identified as the negative of the work function. However, when non-conservative forces are present, the concept of potential energy may not be applicable. In the case of friction, the work done by the object will always be positive and the work done in a round trip can never be zero.
NikhilRGS
Is potential energy gained or lost only in a conservative field, or when work is done against or by conservative forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say yes. The potential energy is the energy that is gained when the object is brought to some sort of ground position or ground state. If that amount of energy is dependent on the path to the ground position, then the potential energy would be ill-defined.

Likes NikhilRGS
Thank you.
Is it totally safe and correct to say that there is no potential energy gained by a body when work is done on it against a non conservative force.

Yes, provided of course that there are no other forces acting on the body that are conservative.

If you push a block up an incline with friction, then some of your work goes into gravitational potential energy, and the rest is dissipated into thermal energy of the block, the incline and the surrounding air (if any).

Likes NikhilRGS
NikhilRGS said:
Is it totally safe and correct to say that there is no potential energy gained by a body when work is done on it against a non conservative force.

In the case of force of friction this is fine. In the case of magnetic forces, no work is done! In general one must be careful how one defines the relationship between the potential energy function and the work function. In the "conservative" case (I don't find this to be an appropriate term in the common way one defines such forces) where the work function is a function only of the generalised coordinates ##U (q_1,\cdots,q_n)##, you can identify the potential energy as ##V(q_1,\cdots, q_n) = - U (q_1,\cdots,q_n)##. In the more general case where the work function depends also on the generalised velocities, i.e. ##U (q_1,\cdots,q_n; \dot{q}_1, \cdots, \dot{q}_n)## then the total energy may be identified as the sum of kinetic and potential energies provided you define ##V## as $$V=\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\partial U}{\partial \dot{q}_i}\dot{q}_i - U (q_1,\cdots,q_n; \dot{q}_1, \cdots, \dot{q}_n).$$
In other words the potential energy is related to the work function via a Legendre transform with the generalised velocities taken as active variables of the transformation. Interestingly, the transformed variables are gauge field/vector potential components: ##A_i = \frac{\partial U}{\partial \dot{q}_i}\dot{q}_i ##.

NikhilRGS said:
Thank you.
No. To be safe, avoid the term "potential energy" when dealing with non conservative forces.

Your statement, "there is no potential energy gained by a body when work is done on it against a non conservative force" implies:
1) that there are two forces applied to the body, one conservative (involving potential energy) and one non conservative (stated explicitly);
2) the work applied to the body opposed the non conservative force; and
3) that same work was only against the non conservative force - not the conservative one.

So the assertion that there was no gain in potential energy would be correct - but only because the mere mention of potential energy suggest that there is a conservative force.

And since it is doubtful that that is what you meant to say - the statement is at best both unsafe and incorrect and at worse ambiguous.

Can the work done by a non conservative force like friction 'in a round trip' ever be zero?

NikhilRGS said:
Can the work done by a non conservative force like friction 'in a round trip' ever be zero?
Given that the force of friction is always directed opposite to the displacement of an object, the work done ##\textit{by}## the object on the surroundings will always be positive (or equivalently, the work done ##\textit{on}## the object will always be negative). Thus as long as no extra external force is acting on the object, it will gradually slow down as energy is being transferred to the surroundings in the form of heat and the surroundings temperature is raised. So because the force of friction is always directed opposite to displacement, the work done in a round trip can never be zero. This holds for any closed curve which has at least one point with non-vanishing force of friction, i.e. the only way the work done can be zero is if the force of friction along the closed curve vanishes at every point along the curve.

NikhilRGS said:
Is potential energy gained or lost only in a conservative field, or when work is done against or by conservative forces?
Actually the question is a little poorly formulated.
If there are no conservative forces, there is no potential energy to talk about. So the question about the variation (or non-) of a non-existing (or not defined) thing is not really meaningful.

If the system contains both conservative and non-conservative forces, whatever the PE does depends only on the work of the conservative forces. The work of the non-conservative ones has no effect on the PE.

Related to Is potential energy only acquired in a *Conservative Field*?

1. What is a Conservative Field?

A Conservative Field is a type of vector field in which the work done by the force moving an object from one point to another is independent of the path taken. In other words, the potential energy of an object in a Conservative Field is only dependent on its position and not on the path it takes to get there.

2. How is potential energy acquired in a Conservative Field?

Potential energy is acquired in a Conservative Field through the force of gravity or any other conservative force that acts on an object. As an object moves in a Conservative Field, it gains or loses potential energy depending on its position.

3. Can potential energy be acquired in a Non-Conservative Field?

No, potential energy can only be acquired in a Conservative Field. In a Non-Conservative Field, the work done by the force is dependent on the path taken, making potential energy dependent on the path as well.

4. What is an example of a Conservative Field?

An example of a Conservative Field is the force of gravity. As an object moves closer to the Earth, it gains potential energy due to its position in the Earth's gravitational field. The work done by gravity is independent of the path taken, making it a Conservative Field.

5. Why is it important to understand Conservative Fields in relation to potential energy?

Understanding Conservative Fields and their relationship to potential energy is crucial in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately predict and calculate the potential energy of an object in a given position, which can be essential in designing and building structures or machines that rely on potential energy for stability or movement.