Is "R" always positive? (not a HW problem -- it's a general question)

In summary: I am not sure if there are many formulas out there that care about displacement unless you were dealing with vectors.In summary, In physics, distance is always positive, but by using a negative number for distance in a problem, one may appear to be solving for an electric potential or electric field that is actually negative. This can be confusing and may need to be clarified with future problems.
JoeyCentral
This references a specific problem in my Physics class in relations to electrical potential and electrical fields, but I kind of want a more general answer in terms of physics. So obviously, I know that distance is always positive. However, when I was given a problem to solve, there were 3 different charges with their own respective charges. This is not really a homework problem since I already know how to use the given information to solve for electric potential and electric field. Long story short, when I was plugging in the numbers, apparently I got the answer wrong for calculating the total charge at a single point because I used a negative number for distance. My physics teacher told me that distance is always positive, but by my mathematical analysis, it looked almost like it was -x distance from the origin (or in this case, the point).

Well, this is a problem that I really need to know, especially if electrical engineering is going to involve a lot of physics like this. I know distance in theory is positive. However, if I was given a formula and the formula had the letter "r" or "R" in it, does that mean that it will always denote a positive number since it is a distance? I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but like I said, I want to make sure I am 100% prepared for engineering school and the only way I can do that is by improving my physics. I am good with the math, but I just want to sharpen that physics a little bit. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are confusing the distance between something versus either position or displacement. Those two are not the same.

In cartesian coordinates, the position may have a negative value. However, the distance between something isn't! And object at +3i and another at -3i does NOT have a distance of zero between them if you try to simply add these values, even though the other object is at a "negative position".

Look at what the physics requires.

Zz.

So no matter what position the object is to the point of interest, the difference between the two object's position will always be positive?

JoeyCentral said:
So no matter what position the object is to the point of interest, the difference between the two object's position will always be positive?
It's a bit more nuanced than that and is the same as the distinction between "speed" and "velocity".

The "difference" (or "displacement") between the positions will be a vector. It can be positive or negative. More generally, it may be in any direction. The "distance" between the positions will always be positive (or possibly zero). It is a scalar and has no direction.

The "distance" between Chicago and Des Moines is about 400 miles. The "displacement" from Chicago to Des Moines is 400 miles West. The "displacement" from Des Moines to Chicago is 400 miles East.

But does the letter R always mean distance in a formula?

JoeyCentral said:
But does the letter R always mean distance in a formula?
Depends on the formula.

Well I thought about it and I honestly think that distance is always used in formulas. I am not sure if there are many formulas out there that care about displacement unless you were dealing with vectors.

Related to Is "R" always positive? (not a HW problem -- it's a general question)

1. Is "R" always positive?

No, "R" does not always have to be positive. It depends on the context in which it is being used and the values it represents. In some cases, "R" may represent a positive value, while in others it may represent a negative value.

2. What does "R" stand for in science?

In science, "R" can stand for multiple things depending on the field of study. In physics, "R" can represent the gas constant, while in chemistry it can represent the ideal gas law. In mathematics, "R" can represent the set of real numbers.

3. How do you determine the sign of "R" in an equation?

The sign of "R" in an equation depends on the values it represents. If "R" represents a positive quantity, then its sign will be positive. If "R" represents a negative quantity, then its sign will be negative. In some cases, "R" may have a variable sign and can be positive or negative depending on the specific values used in the equation.

4. Can "R" be equal to zero?

Yes, "R" can be equal to zero in some cases. For example, in the ideal gas law equation, "R" can be equal to zero if the pressure and volume are both zero. However, in other equations, "R" may have a non-zero value and cannot be equal to zero.

5. Why is "R" important in science?

"R" is important in science because it represents a constant or value that is used in various equations and calculations. It helps to simplify complex equations and make them more manageable. In addition, "R" can provide insight into the relationships between different variables in a scientific system.