Is Relational Quantum Mechanics Truly Profound or Simply Confusing?

• Thread starter jfy4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, Rovelli's example highlights the concept of observer-dependent reality in quantum mechanics, challenging our traditional understanding of reality and raising questions about the role of consciousness in shaping it.
jfy4
Hi,

I was looking through Rovelli's Relational QM paper

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9609002"

and Unfortunatly I didn't find the initial set-up of the story compelling. In this set up, there is a system, S, and an observer O. S can be in one of two states [itex]|\psi\rangle =\alpha |1\rangle + \beta |2\rangle [/itex]. Assume that for a specific measurement at time [itex]t=t_2 [/itex] O observers S in state [itex]|1\rangle [/itex]. Now let a new observer, P, describe the S-O system quantum mechanically. Then without interacting with the S-O system, it is described by P as [itex]\alpha |1\rangle\otimes |O1\rangle + \beta |2\rangle \otimes |O2\rangle [/itex] where O2 and O1 indicate that O has interacted with S and observed result 1 or 2 respectively. Then from this Rovelli states,

At time [itex]t_2[/itex], in the O description, the system S is in the state |1⟩ and the quantity q has value 1. According to the P description, S is not in the state |1⟩ and the hand of the measuring apparatus does not indicate ‘1’.
and then that
In quantum mechanics different observers may give different accounts of the same sequence of events.

But to me this conclusion and argument aren't particularly compelling. To me this says that O has a value for S, say 1, but P doesn't have a particular value for the S-O system. That's okay with me, since P never made a measurement in the first place, I'd certainly not expect P to have a value at hand. This seems just like if Sally and Oscar have a box in front of them with two balls, red and green, and Oscar picks a ball at random and looks to see what it is, but Sally can't check either the box or Oscar. Then Oscar has a value for the ball color, but Sally doesn't know the ball color, or what Oscar knows as the ball color.

I don't see a problem with this... This seems completely normal and non-exclusive. Can someone help me see the profoundness in this example.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your confusion and hesitation in finding Rovelli's example compelling. However, I believe that the key point here is the concept of observer-dependent reality in quantum mechanics. This means that the reality of a system is not determined until it is observed by an observer, and different observers can have different perceptions of the same reality.

In Rovelli's example, the observer O measures the state of system S and finds it to be in state |1⟩, while the observer P, who has not interacted with the system, describes it as being in a superposition of states. This illustrates the idea that reality is not fixed and objective, but rather dependent on the observer and their interactions with the system.

The profoundness of this example lies in the fact that it challenges our traditional understanding of reality and suggests that our perception of it is not a complete representation of the truth. It also raises questions about the role of consciousness in shaping reality, as the act of observation is often linked to consciousness.

Furthermore, this example also has implications in the field of quantum computing and quantum information, where the concept of observer-dependent reality is being explored for potential applications.

I hope this helps you see the significance of Rovelli's example and the deeper implications it has in the field of quantum mechanics. Feel free to ask any further questions or for clarification.

FAQ: Is Relational Quantum Mechanics Truly Profound or Simply Confusing?

What is Relational Quantum Mechanics?

Relational Quantum Mechanics (RQM) is a framework for understanding quantum mechanics that focuses on the relationships between objects rather than the objects themselves. It suggests that the properties of an object only exist in relation to other objects, and there is no absolute “reality” independent of these relationships.

How does RQM differ from traditional quantum mechanics?

RQM differs from traditional quantum mechanics in its approach to understanding the nature of reality. While traditional quantum mechanics focuses on describing the properties of individual objects, RQM emphasizes the interconnectedness of all objects and the role of relationships in defining their properties.

What evidence supports RQM?

There are several pieces of evidence that support RQM. For example, the quantum entanglement phenomenon, where two particles become correlated even when separated by large distances, suggests that the properties of objects are defined by their relationships rather than individual properties. Additionally, the concept of quantum superposition, where a particle can exist in multiple states at once, aligns with the idea that properties only exist in relation to other objects.

What are the implications of RQM?

RQM has several implications for our understanding of the universe. It challenges the traditional view of a fixed, objective reality and suggests that reality is constantly changing based on relationships. It also has implications for fields such as philosophy and psychology, as it raises questions about the nature of perception and consciousness.

How is RQM being applied in scientific research?

RQM is being applied in various scientific fields, including quantum information theory, quantum cosmology, and quantum gravity. It has also influenced the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and communication, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics and the relational nature of reality.