Is S a Subspace of P_3 and Does q(x) Belong in S?

In summary: And the answer is the same as well. Please refer to the previous answer for a) and for b) you just need to check if q(1) = 0 and q'(1) = 0. If both of these are true, then q is in S. Otherwise, it is not in S.In summary, we are given a subset S of the vector space P_3 consisting of all real polynomials of degree at most 3 such that p(1) = 0 and p'(1) = 0. We need to determine whether S is a subspace of P_3 and whether a given polynomial q(x) = x - 2x^2 + x^3 is an element of S
dragonxhell
Could someone help me with this question? Because I'm stuck and have no idea how to solve it & it's due tomorrow :(

Let S be the following subset of the vector space P_3 of all real polynomials p of degree at most 3:

S={p∈ P_3 p(1)=0, p' (1)=0}

where p' is the derivative of p.

a)Determine whether S is a subspace of $P_3$
b) determine whether the polynomial q(x)= x-2x^2 +x^3 is an element of S

Attempt:
I know that for the first part I need to proof that it's none empty, closed under addition and multiplication right?
will this give me full mark for the part a if I answer like this:
(af+bg)(1)=af(1)+bg(1)=0+0=0 and
(af+bg)′(1)=af′(1)+bg′(1)=0+0=0
so therefore it's a subspace of P_3?
b) i got no idea...

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
dragonxhell said:
Could someone help me with this question? Because I'm stuck and have no idea how to solve it & it's due tomorrow :(

Let S be the following subset of the vector space P_3 of all real polynomials p of degree at most 3:

Attempt:
I know that for the first part I need to proof that it's none empty, closed under addition and multiplication right?
will this give me full mark for the part a if I answer like this:
(af+bg)(1)=af(1)+bg(1)=0+0=0 and
(af+bg)′(1)=af′(1)+bg′(1)=0+0=0
so therefore it's a subspace of P_3?
What allows you to say that (af+bg)(1) = 0 and that (af+bg)'(1) = 0? You haven't used the fact that S is a subset of P3. You also haven't shown that the zero function belongs to S.
dragonxhell said:
b) i got no idea...
The set description tells you which functions belong to S. Namely, they are of degree less than or equal to 3, p(1) = 0, and p'(1) = 0. Does q satisfy all three of these conditions? If so, it's in S.

What you have for a) is correct. You need to say what f and g are to write it out properly.

What is stopping you from checking whether q(x) is in S?

dragonxhell said:

Your question is identical to the question asked in this thread.

FAQ: Is S a Subspace of P_3 and Does q(x) Belong in S?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vector spaces, and matrices. It involves the study of algebraic structures and their applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the main concepts in linear algebra?

The main concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are used to solve problems involving linear relationships and transformations.

3. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in real life, such as in computer graphics, data science, signal processing, and machine learning. It is also used in engineering for solving systems of equations and in economics for analyzing input-output relationships.

4. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can have one or more terms, with each term containing a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

5. How are polynomials related to linear algebra?

Polynomials can be represented as vectors in a vector space, and their operations, such as addition and multiplication, can be defined using linear algebra concepts. Additionally, linear algebra techniques, such as matrix multiplication, can be used to solve systems of polynomial equations.

Back