Is Sin(x) Always Less Than x?

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
In summary: The second derivative of sin tells us that it decreases as x approaches pi/2, which is where y=2x/pi begins and ends. So sin is always above 2x/π on this interval.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap4.jpg

Homework Equations

$$\sin\,x=a/r$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Snap4.jpg
Snap2.jpg
$$\sin\,x=a/r, ~~x=\mbox{arc}(a)/r$$
$$\frac{a}{r}<\frac{\mbox{arc}(a)}{r}~\rightarrow~\sin\,x<x$$
$$\frac{2x}{\pi}=\frac{2\,\mbox{arc}(a)}{\pi r}>\frac{2a}{\pi r}$$
$$\sin\,x=a/r>\frac{2}{\pi}\frac{a}{r}$$
But i am not sure this is what they wanted

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Karol,

What is arc(a)?
It seems to be the arc length that belongs to an angle of x at radius r, but then there should not be an 'a' should there?
Certainly the equation at the end with 2x/pi cannot be right.

Alternatively, how about using these function graphs?
sine_boundaries.png

In ##~\mbox{arc}(a)~## i just meant the arc enclosed by the edge a, not to multiply the arc length and a.
This question is from the chapter about derivatives. can i prove on the basis of derivatives?

Last edited:
Okay. Still, arc(a) is not a notation that is generally used.
And yes, you can use derivatives.
Any thoughts on how to do that?

I don't know the common notation for arc length.
The derivative of sin in ##~0<x<\pi/2~## is ##~\sin'\,x<1~## but smaller, in part of the domain, than ##~\frac{2x}{\pi}##.
And it also gives only the rate of change, not the value of the function.
I don't know how to use derivatives to solve the inequality

Well, in this context, I'm not aware of a common notation for arc length either.
So if we want to use it, we have to write it out in words, or invent our own notation with an explanation what we did.
If we wanted to, we could for instance define ##arc_r(x)## for the arc length on a circle with radius r and angle x.
Anyway, I propose we focus on the derivatives instead of the arc length.

Let's start with ##x \overset ?> \sin x##.
The derivative indeed identifies the rate of change of the function, also called slope.
Initially, at x=0, both sides of the inequality are 0 (which is outside of the interval, so the inequality can still hold).
And indeed, for the right side of the inequality we have ##0 < \sin' x = \cos x < 1## on our interval.
Which rate of change do we have on the left side of the inequality?
Does it tell us how it compares?

The slope of 2x/π is 2/π=0.64
cos x varies between 0 and 1

Karol said:
The slope of 2x/π is 2/π=0.64
cos x varies between 0 and 1

Yes. So zooming in on ##x \overset ?> \sin x##, we know that the right hand side has a slope between 0 and 1.
What is the slope of the left hand side?

We'll get to ##\sin x > \frac{2x}\pi## later.

$$x'=1\geqslant \sin'\,x$$
So the slope of sin is smaller than the slope of x, so what does it say?
Maybe: they both start from 0 and since the slope of sin is smaller, it says sin(x) is under x?

Karol said:
$$x'=1\geqslant \sin'\,x$$
So the slope of sin is smaller than the slope of x, so what does it say?
Maybe: they both start from 0 and since the slope of sin is smaller, it says sin(x) is under x?

Yep. That's exactly it. Since they start from the same value, the one with the lower slope must be below the other.

For ##\sin x > \frac{2x}\pi## we will need to look a bit further to the second derivative though.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
$$\sin''\,x=-\sin\,x=0 \leftrightarrow 1,~~\left( \frac{2x}{\pi} \right)''=0$$
The book didn't explain yet the graphical meaning of the second derivative.

Karol said:
$$\sin''\,x=-\sin\,x=0 \leftrightarrow 1,~~\left( \frac{2x}{\pi} \right)''=0$$
The book didn't explain yet the graphical meaning of the second derivative.

Hmm... that is a problem. Does your book suggest any other solution to your problem then?

No, but tell me in short what does the second derivative help here, please

Karol said:
No, but tell me in short what does the second derivative help here, please

We have a second derivative that is negative everywhere on our interval.
It means that the slope, which is positive everywhere, is decreasing.
That means in turn that the function value is everywhere above the line ##y=\frac{2x}\pi## as we can see in the function graph.

The slope of sin is bigger, so sin starts to shoot above 2x/π, but the slope is decreasing, so maybe the function itself goes down and under 2x/π.
I see from the graph that that isn't so, but can we deduce from the second derivative that it can't be?

y=2x/pi begins and ends on the graph of the sine. That is, for x=pi/2 its value is 1. And because the 2nd derivative is negative, sine is rounded upwards, putting it above the line.

So because there aren't any other points, apart of the beginning and ending, that sin and 2x/π equal, and because of the second derivative, you deduce that sin is above, right?

Yep

I like Serena said:
We'll get to ##\sin x > \frac{2x}\pi## later.

Is that when he learns about ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{sinx}{x}=1##?

Thank you "I like Serena"

Likes I like Serena

FAQ: Is Sin(x) Always Less Than x?

What is the definition of sine?

The sine of an angle x is defined as the ratio of the length of the side opposite to x to the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle.

How do you prove that sin(x) < x?

One method is to use the Maclaurin series expansion of sine, which shows that sin(x) can be written as a polynomial in x. Since the coefficients of this polynomial alternate in sign and decrease in magnitude, it follows that sin(x) < x for all x.

Can you prove that sin(x) < x using geometry?

Yes, the geometric proof involves considering the unit circle and the inscribed angle theorem. By constructing a right triangle within the circle and using the properties of similar triangles, it can be shown that the length of the opposite side (sin(x)) is always less than the length of the hypotenuse (x).

Are there any other methods to prove sin(x) < x?

Yes, another method is to use the fact that the derivative of sine is cosine, and to show that the slope of the tangent line at any point on the sine curve is always less than the slope of the line connecting the origin to that point. This can be done using the mean value theorem.

What is the significance of proving sin(x) < x?

Proving this inequality is important in many fields of mathematics and science, as it is used to establish the convergence of various series and to solve differential equations. It also has practical applications in physics, engineering, and other disciplines.

Back