Is Solder Cup or Crimp Better for a 37-Pin D-Sub Connector?

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
In summary, the best option for creating an in-line 37-pin D-Sub connector is to use solder cups for a more reliable connection. Using pre-made cables may also be a good alternative. Crimping can be more complex and expensive, while soldering only requires basic tools.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If I'm looking to create an in-line 37-pin D-Sub connector (i.e. not board-mount and not panel-mount, but connecting two groups of wires to each other), is it better to use the connectors with solder cups, or the ones with holes for pins and sockets that have been crimped onto the wires?

...or does it not matter?

...or should this type of thing not be done at all?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I prefer using solder connectors. IMO you will get a more reliable connection.

I also prefer solder cups, especially for making only 1 or 2 cables.

To crimp reliably you have to make sure you have the right parts and follow the manufacturer's specifications which often require tooling which can cost several hundred dollars.

With solder cups you just have the one part without separate pins and soldering doesn't require anything special assuming you have solder and an iron handy.

Related to Is Solder Cup or Crimp Better for a 37-Pin D-Sub Connector?

1. What are connectors?

Connectors are devices used to create a connection between two or more components, such as wires or devices, in an electrical or mechanical system.

2. How do connectors work?

Connectors work by providing a secure and reliable connection between two or more components, allowing for the transfer of power, data, or signals. They typically consist of two or more contact points that are designed to fit together and create a conductive path.

3. What types of connectors are there?

There are various types of connectors, including electrical connectors, which are used to connect electrical circuits, and mechanical connectors, which are used to join mechanical components. Examples of connectors include USB, HDMI, and Ethernet connectors.

4. How do I choose the right connector for my project?

The right connector for your project will depend on the specific requirements and needs of your project. Factors to consider when choosing a connector include the type of connection needed, the number of connections required, and the environment in which the connector will be used. It's important to carefully research and compare different types of connectors to find the best fit for your project.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using connectors?

Yes, there are safety considerations when using connectors. It's important to ensure that the connector is compatible with the components it is connecting and that it is used within its specified voltage and current ratings. Additionally, proper installation and maintenance of connectors is important for ensuring safe and reliable operation.