Is space warped, or is matter expanding?

In summary, physicists say that space is warped in with the presence of mass, and that this is what causes gravity. Matter can be transformed to energy, but one is not the other.
Modman
Why do physicists say that space is warped in with the presence of mass? Wasn't the whole concept of spatial coordinates supposed to make measuring distance easier? I think it would be easier to say that matter expands outwards in the presence of space.

Also, because of the second law of thermodynamics, and since matter IS energy, would it not be logical to say that matter must continue to expand outwards until it touches other matter? Is this what we call gravity?

BTW this isn't my idea, but I think it's an awesome idea but I need someone to verify the thinking is correct.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi there,

The idea of a bending space comes from light observation. It has been thought for very long that light travels in a straight line. Just need to point a laser, and see that it does travel straight.

Thanks to relativity (this Einstein dude had something), we know now that light bends when passing near matter. Of course this is visible when light, coming from far away objects) passes near a very massive object (massive star). Therefore, trying to explain this, scientist came up with the idea of warped space.

They imagine that light follows the Universe curvature. In a flat Universe, light would travel in a straight line. Putting some massive object in this flat universe bends its curvature, forcing light to follow it.

As for the second part of your comment: matter is not energy and vice-versa. Matter can be transformed to energy. There is the duality principle. But one is not the other.

But due to the second law of thermodynamics, matter should still expand, correct? It is trying to reach equilibrium.

Modman said:
Why do physicists say that space is warped in with the presence of mass? Wasn't the whole concept of spatial coordinates supposed to make measuring distance easier? I think it would be easier to say that matter expands outwards in the presence of space.

I'm not sure you get the ideas going around. It is space itself that is expanding, rather than matter expanding into empty void.

What I'm trying to say is that it should be fundamentally the same, if matter is expanding or if space is warped. However, if matter is expanding, it is the expansion that causes gravity. When two particles grow at the same rate, the space between them decreases by a square root, the same as in Newton's gravity equations. This is what I am proposing.

fatra2 said:
As for the second part of your comment: matter is not energy and vice-versa. Matter can be transformed to energy. There is the duality principle. But one is not the other.

...then what is matter? If quantum mechanics considers particle-wave duality, how would you describe the difference between matter and energy?

Sorry, this is all just gibberish. Thread locked.

Related to Is space warped, or is matter expanding?

1. Is space really warped?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, space is warped by the presence of mass or energy. This means that large objects, such as planets and stars, create a curvature in space-time that affects the motion of objects around them.

2. How do we know that space is warped?

We have observed the effects of space-time curvature through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects, known as gravitational lensing, is a direct result of space-time curvature. Additionally, the predictions made by general relativity have been confirmed through numerous experiments.

3. Is it possible for space to be expanding?

Yes, the expansion of space is a well-established concept in cosmology. This expansion is believed to have started with the Big Bang and continues to this day. However, it is important to note that this expansion is not the same as the warping of space described by general relativity.

4. Can both space be warped and matter be expanding at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for both concepts to coexist. In fact, the expansion of space is believed to be responsible for the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe. This means that while space is expanding, the warping of space due to matter remains a constant factor.

5. How does the warping of space affect us?

The warping of space has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and how it functions. It explains the force of gravity and the motion of celestial bodies, and it also plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies. Without the warping of space, our universe would look drastically different.