Is spacetime just a mathematical trick or is it the actual physical reality?

In summary: But if I move to a different reference frame B, and look at the same charge, I will see a different force because the electric field in frame B is different from the electric field in frame A. This is because the charges in frame A are moving, while the charges in frame B are not.This is what is meant by the "indeterministic" nature of EM. It is not fully determined by the laws of physics in one particular reference frame.So, while in one frame the electric field is a particle, in another frame it is a wave.This indeterminism is one of the big problems with the theory of relativity, because it means that the laws of physics in one frame
martinbn said:
No, I meant. What is space? What is time?

Space is what keeps everything from happening to you.

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.

Likes russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
DoobleD said:
Experiments confirm SR, they do not confirm our world is a Minkowski spacetime where time is just like space. I distinguish those two things, SR and Minkowski spacetime.
Nature does not distinguish those two things. All interpretations are experimentally indistinguishable.

Likes DoobleD
DoobleD said:
a Minkowski spacetime where time is just like space

Time is not "just like space" in SR/Minkowski spacetime (which are the same thing, as DaleSpam says). There is a fundamental difference between timelike intervals and spacelike intervals (and there is also a third type, null intervals, which is fundamentally different from the other two). Physically, the difference shows up as, for example, the fact that you can't measure timelike intervals and spacelike intervals the same way; you use a clock for the former and a ruler for the latter. Mathematically, the difference shows up as a difference in signs in the metric.

Likes DoobleD
Thanks for the answers !

DaleSpam said:
Nature does not distinguish those two things. All interpretations are experimentally indistinguishable.

How do you measure spacetime?

industry7 said:
How do you measure spacetime?
[itex]s^2= t^2- x^2- y^2- z^2[/itex]

This thread is closed

Back