Is spacetime the surface of a 5 dimensional ball.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a closed universe and how it can be visualized as the surface of a 5-dimensional ball. This idea was first proposed by Theodor Kaluza in 1921 and has been further explored in string theory. The book "Einstein's Cosmos" briefly mentions this concept and explains how it relates to Maxwell's equations. The conversation also mentions the idea of spacetime in a closed universe being represented as a big circle.
Spinnor
Gold Member
At one time it was thought(still is?) that we live in a closed universe?

So if we live in a closed universe we might try to get a picture of this space by thinking of the space S^3? remember,

S^1 surface of a 2 dimensional ball,
S^2 surface of a 3 dimensional ball,
S^3 surface of a 4 dimensional ball,
S^4 surface of a 5 dimensional ball.

Let us not forget time. In a closed big bang universe can time be thought of as a big circle if we identify beginning and end points? If so can spacetime of a closed universe be thought of as the surface of a 5 dimensional ball?

Thank you for any thoughts.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In chapter 7, "Unification and the Quantum Challange" of Michio Kaku's book "Einstein's Cosmos", a popular science book which I happen to be reading at the moment, such an idea is mentioned.

Theodr Kaluza, in 1921, extended GR to a five dimensional space, and in doing so was able to find that Maxwell's equations "fall out" of such a treatment. I don't know the details behind this, as the book does contain any mathematics, but it sounds like this is the root idea behind much of string theory.

Would you mind defining "fall out?"

No, I can't really define it. Like I said, I don't know the details, although it sounded much like the Spinnor's description. The Kaku book, which I happened on at the public library, doesn't have any math, also just descriptive:

"Then, in a few lines, Kuluza showed that if the fifth dimension is separated from the other four, Einstein's equations emerged, along with Maxwell's equations!"

If you want more detail, google finds stuff like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaluza-Klein_theory

... I personally can't make much sense of that without first studying GR, something that I don't have any intention of trying without first getting much more SR under my belt;)

Related to Is spacetime the surface of a 5 dimensional ball.

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a mathematical concept that combines the three dimensions of space and the dimension of time into a single four-dimensional continuum. It is the framework in which all physical events occur and is a fundamental concept in physics.

2. How many dimensions does a 5 dimensional ball have?

A 5 dimensional ball, also known as a 5-sphere, has 5 dimensions - 4 spatial dimensions and 1 temporal dimension. This is one more dimension than the 4 dimensions (3 spatial and 1 temporal) that we experience in our everyday lives.

3. Is the idea of spacetime as a 5 dimensional ball supported by scientific evidence?

While there is no concrete evidence that definitively proves or disproves the idea of spacetime as a 5 dimensional ball, it is a concept that is explored and debated in the field of theoretical physics. Some theories, such as string theory and M-theory, suggest the possibility of extra dimensions beyond the 4 that we currently know of.

4. How does the concept of a 5 dimensional ball explain the curvature of spacetime?

In the theory of general relativity, the presence of matter and energy causes spacetime to curve. The idea of spacetime as a 5 dimensional ball suggests that this curvature is due to the bending of the 5th dimension. This concept is still being studied and is not yet fully understood.

5. Can we observe or experience the 5th dimension?

No, we cannot directly observe or experience the 5th dimension. It is a purely mathematical concept and is beyond our current understanding and perception. However, some theories suggest that the 5th dimension may be "hidden" or "compactified" in a way that we cannot directly observe it, but its effects can be seen in the behavior of matter and energy in our 4-dimensional universe.