Is String Theory Consistent with MOND and TeVeS?

In summary, the field of string research has failed to produce a theory of everything and is in decline. Despite this, there is still a large number of people working in the field and there is potential for new ideas to emerge. However, string theory is largely irrelevant to MOND and TeVeS, which are considered dead ideas in the scientific community. Instead, there is a growing interest in exploring other approaches to fundamental physics and quantum gravity, particularly in relation to understanding dark energy and its effects on the universe. While the future of string theory remains uncertain, it may still play a role in addressing the mysteries of dark energy.
H.M. Murdock
First of all, I don't know anything about mathematical physics whatsoever. I am not well aquainted with it. So please forgive me if I am misinterpretating something.

My question has to do with MOND and TeVeS. If this theory happen to be true and Gravity is different or incosistant in huge places of the universes, then could the math that was used to get string theory be wrong as a theory of everything, or still String theory is consistent with MOND and TeVeS?

thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
H.M. Murdock said:
.. String theory is consistent with MOND and TeVeS?

So far string research has failed to produce a theory of everything, and it is in decline.
String-ish mathematics can be made consistent with pretty much anything---there is no one unique "string theory".

David Gross is probably the most influential string theorist (Edward Witten has gotten out of string) and the only one to have won the Nobel (for some non-string work he did). He has said repeatedly "We don't know what string theory is."

What that refers to is the earlier hope that something called M-theory would be found which would put various forms of stringery together in one package. But no M-theory has been found. No main M-theory equation, no fundamental principle analogous to Einstein's equivalence principle. No string/M theory exists. Instead, so far there is a bunch of indefinite ideas and some interesting mathematical techniques.

Consequently, the rate of publication of stringy papers has been declining since about 2002. More important: the rate of CITATION of string papers has declined as well----string theorists now find the recent papers by other string theorists papers less significant and cite them less in their own research.

As the field has declined, good people (like Witten) have simply gotten out and found other things to do research in.
A twentypercent cut in faculty jobs is planned for string theorists over the next four years according to a government advisory panel HEPAP that made a survey of the physics departments of US universities. At the same time (June 2007) HEPAP reported a planned 20 percent increase in faculty specializing in astrophysics. Smaller changed in other areas.

So the real world is gradually adapting to the perceived failure and decline of string to produce a theory. Note that string research could still succeed in coming up with a clear unique testable theory consistent with past observation and predicting new phenomena that established theories don't so it could be tested.
Even with a 20 percent cut in jobs, or even 50 percent, there would still be a huge crowd of people working in the field and they might come up with something. David Gross says some totally new ideas are needed and they might be found.

But there are newer pathways to unification to explore, and interesting newer approaches to unifying quantum theory with General Relativity which have been making visible progress. So the picture is changing.

===================

SO WHAT ABOUT MOND AND TeVeS?

String thinking is basically irrelevant to MOND and TeVeS. String is amorphous and nonpredictive. There are a huge number of variations most of which have a hard time predicting even known stuff like the Standard Particle Model. So the question needs to be generalized to include other approaches to fundamental physics and quantum gravity.

What you are asking is very interesting, if you generalize it and bring it up to date.

As you know, MOND and TeVeS are pretty much dead as ideas now because people are IMAGING AND MAPPING DARK MATTER and MOND was invented to explain rotation curves without dark matter. But now we see clouds of dark matter by weak lensing and study their flow around in clusters and superclusters. We see how they behave in collisions etc.

So if you watch the publication rates there has been a drop-off in publication of research papers in the general MOND area.

However people are coming up with exciting new ways to explain the DARK ENERGY effect. There are some really interesting new papers explaining acceleration in expansion without requiring any exotic matter----no hypothetical dark energy field needed!

Also several recent research papers that I've seen have derived the value of the cosmological constant from more basic considerations.

This work is too speculative to put much faith in, at this point, but it is a lively research area with a ferment of new ideas. It is also connected to some newer approaches to quantum gravity. Names to recall in this connection are Reuter, Aldrovandi, Wiltshire, Percacci, Pereira, Loll, Smolin---I'm probably forgetting half of those I should mention, and this is in no particular order.

I think TeVeS and MOND are dead. But there are OTHER modifications of gravity that have appeared in the past couple of years----some of which explain the cosmological constant---i.e. 'dark energy'. And Dark Energy research is getting BIG. The government agencies have been persuaded to commit really substantial support to search for and study of. This could help keep string researchers on the pay-roll.

Even though string research has gotten a bit old and is in decline, there are still a lot of people working in it! String could get into the news in the next few years by coming up with ideas of what might constitute Dark Energy, or what might be causing the observed effect. So the driving interest in Dark Energy could serve to feed and revitalize string-talk.

However help to string is not likely to come by way of TeVeS. As i say they are kind of irrelevant to each other----string being too amorphous and TeVeS being dead.

these are just my personal views, H.M.Murdock, and hopefully other people will present you with different opinions :biggrin:

Last edited:

Thank you for your question. It is important to note that string theory is still a highly debated and complex topic, and there is no definitive answer to your question. However, I will try to provide some information that may help to clarify.

Firstly, it is important to understand that string theory is not a complete theory of everything, but rather a framework that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It is still a work in progress and has not been fully proven or accepted by the scientific community.

Regarding MOND (Modified Newtonian Dynamics) and TeVeS (Tensor-Vector-Scalar gravity), these are alternative theories to explain the observed gravitational effects in the universe. They propose modifications to Einstein's theory of general relativity, which is the framework that currently explains gravity in our universe. These theories have gained some attention and support, but they are not widely accepted or proven at this point.

In terms of how string theory relates to MOND and TeVeS, there is no clear consensus. Some researchers believe that string theory may be able to accommodate these alternative theories, while others believe that it may contradict them. It is also worth noting that string theory is a highly mathematical and abstract theory, and it is challenging to make direct connections to observable phenomena like MOND and TeVeS.

In summary, it is difficult to say whether string theory is consistent with MOND and TeVeS, as there is still much debate and research needed in all of these areas. It is possible that future advancements in string theory may shed more light on these alternative theories, but for now, we cannot definitively say one way or the other. I hope this helps to clarify your question.

Related to Is String Theory Consistent with MOND and TeVeS?

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of matter and energy. It proposes that the building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny vibrating strings.

2. How does string theory differ from other theories of physics?

String theory differs from other theories of physics, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, in that it aims to unify all the fundamental forces of nature into one comprehensive framework. It also suggests that the universe may have more than three dimensions.

3. Is string theory proven?

No, string theory is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven through experiments. However, it has gained support from mathematical calculations and various aspects of the theory have been tested in different scientific fields.

4. What are the potential implications of string theory?

If string theory is proven to be true, it could revolutionize our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements. It could also help solve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the unification of gravity with the other fundamental forces.

5. Are there any criticisms of string theory?

Yes, there are several criticisms of string theory, including the lack of experimental evidence and the fact that it is not currently testable with our current technology. Some also argue that it is too complex and lacks predictive power. However, many scientists continue to work on developing and testing the theory.