Is string theory the solution to the problem of infinities in quantum gravity?

• Thread starter julian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, I believe that string theory can account for infinities because the interactions are smeared over extended objects, and that this is why it is more attractive than other theories of QG which only deal with gravity.
julian
Gold Member
I believe in LQG where the theory itself regularises itself (quantised volumes)...string theory is supposed to account for infinities too cus the interaction is smeared over extended objects rather than point particles...

First of all interactions don't occur at points in perturbative quantum gravity in the same sense of Fermi theory.

In string theory we take a step back in that strings do interact directly as in Fermi theory.

Second, so what if it is extended objects that interct??...say an extended object interacts with another extended object say at n points - doesn't that just say the UV divergence will be a power of n times greater than that for point particle interactions just divided by n??

Probably a stupid question...Im bit tired. cats among pigeons.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think an extended object is a clump of N point-like objects? Isn't the whole point of extended objects that they're not?

Now, I don't really know anything about string theory, so I can't really comment on how this works. It seems a little puzzling to me too that having one extended dimension immediately solves this problem. After all, the cross section is still point-like perpendicular to the string.

julian said:
..., so what if it is extended objects that interct??...say an extended object interacts with another extended object say at n points -...

clamtrox said:
Why do you think an extended object is a clump of N point-like objects? ...

Actually I don't think Julian was suggesting that (extended object = finite number of point objects).

The example was two extended objects that INTERACT at a finite number of points.

I think that's how it has to be if (in the math formulation of the theory) interaction is treated as occurring at discrete points. Just my guess, hopefully J. will clear it up for you. BTW I was impressed by the recent discussion in Relativity forum https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=587239 involving several people and think it might relate to the topic here. I post the link just in case it does.

Last edited:
I did mean to extend from N to infinty. I think I was being a bit frivolous. I think you draw out the world sheets of two interacting strings and then note that you can't identify a single point of inetraction.

julian said:
I believe in LQG where the theory itself regularises itself (quantised volumes)...string theory is supposed to account for infinities too cus the interaction is smeared over extended objects rather than point particles...

First of all interactions don't occur at points in perturbative quantum gravity in the same sense of Fermi theory.

In string theory we take a step back in that strings do interact directly as in Fermi theory.

Second, so what if it is extended objects that interct??...say an extended object interacts with another extended object say at n points - doesn't that just say the UV divergence will be a power of n times greater than that for point particle interactions just divided by n??

Probably a stupid question...Im bit tired. cats among pigeons.

Hi,

Remember, standard particle interactions work fine at zero sitance. The problem comes when you introduce gravity.

Gravity must be transmitted on quantum scales by a particle known as a graviton, so that particle interactions with gravity can be mathematically studied and understood.

When gravitons interact with particles at zero distance, as shown by the standard models attempt to include them, everything caves in. The equations break down into ultraviolet divergances, and infinities arise.

But in string theory, the graviton is represented by a closed loop string, allowing it to interact with particles at greater than zero distance, which elimnates any mathematical breakdowns, and allows for a coherant theory of quantum gravity. But remember: String theory's goal has never been to unify to provide a quantum description of gravity. But John Schwarz showed that it could, which made it much more attractive. Though, string theory seeks to unify all forces and provide a theory of everything - unlike other theories of QG which deal purely with gravity.

Last edited:

Related to Is string theory the solution to the problem of infinities in quantum gravity?

1. What does "Strings = no infinities" mean?

"Strings = no infinities" refers to a theory in physics called string theory, which suggests that the universe is made up of tiny vibrating strings instead of point-like particles. This theory also proposes that the equations used to describe these strings do not result in any infinite values, which would help resolve some of the issues with other theories, such as the existence of singularities in black holes.

2. How does string theory propose to solve the problem of infinities in physics?

String theory suggests that the universe is made up of tiny, one-dimensional strings instead of point-like particles. These strings have a finite length and do not result in any infinite values, unlike the equations used in other theories. This helps to solve the problem of infinities in physics and provides a more consistent and complete understanding of the universe.

3. Is "Strings = no infinities" a proven theory?

No, string theory is still a theoretical framework and has not been proven yet. However, it is a well-studied and highly regarded theory among physicists, and it has potential to explain many unanswered questions in physics. Ongoing research and experiments are being conducted to test and validate string theory.

4. How does "Strings = no infinities" relate to other theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics?

String theory is often considered to be a potential unifying theory, as it attempts to reconcile the seemingly conflicting theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It provides a more complete understanding of the universe by incorporating elements of both theories and resolving some of the issues that arise when these theories are applied separately.

5. What are some potential implications of "Strings = no infinities" for our understanding of the universe?

If string theory is proven to be correct, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would provide a more complete and consistent framework for understanding the fundamental laws of nature and could potentially help to explain phenomena such as gravity, dark matter, and the origin of the universe. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and space exploration.