Is temperature different at altitude?

In summary, the boiling point of water is lower at higher altitudes, but temperature is an absolute that does not change with altitude. However, at higher altitudes, the lower air pressure and density results in slower heat transfer, requiring adjustments in cooking time or temperature. Additionally, our bodies dissipate heat differently at higher altitudes, causing the same temperature to feel warmer. This can also have a significant impact on heating and air conditioning systems.
calgarian
Is temperature "different" at altitude?

I know the boiling point of water is lower at higher altitude. But a friend of mine says that temperature in general is different at altitude. So, if the cooking instructions say to bake something at 425, he says you should set the temperature of the oven higher to adjust for higher altitude. I say that temperature is an absolute that does not change with altitude. So an oven set to 425 at sea level has the same heating effect as an oven set to 425 at 4000 ft. This assumes we preheat the oven before placing the food in it. So, who's right?

Science news on Phys.org

Temperature is temperature, but what you are doing with the oven is trying to transfer heat to an object. If there is less air, there is less heat transfer.

Air temperature tends to be lower as you go higher but that has nothing to do with the temperature of a pan on a stove where you have set the desired temperature. Also, if I understand russ watters' post, the density of the air has nothing to do with transfer of hear from, say, an electric burner to a metal pan.

calgarian said:
I know the boiling point of water is lower at higher altitude. But a friend of mine says that temperature in general is different at altitude. So, if the cooking instructions say to bake something at 425, he says you should set the temperature of the oven higher to adjust for higher altitude. I say that temperature is an absolute that does not change with altitude. So an oven set to 425 at sea level has the same heating effect as an oven set to 425 at 4000 ft. This assumes we preheat the oven before placing the food in it. So, who's right?
Yea and no. If your food was dry you wouldn't have to compensate the cooking temperature or cooking time. Your food isn't dry, so you do need to compensate, and do so in many ways. You may need to increase the water, decrease leavening ingredients, and increase the temperature, just as a starter.

[To Halls]
Yes: an electric stove transfers heat through conduction, an oven mostly through convection.

Last edited:
D H said:
Yea and no. If your food was dry you wouldn't have to compensate the cooking temperature or cooking time.
Why?

russ_watters said:
Temperature is temperature, but what you are doing with the oven is trying to transfer heat to an object. If there is less air, there is less heat transfer.

I see what you're saying. But I would think that at equal temperatures the fewer air molecules at higher altitude are moving faster than the larger number of slower moving air molecules at lower altitude. If this is true, why would net heat transfer be different?

calgarian said:
I see what you're saying. But I would think that at equal temperatures the fewer air molecules at higher altitude are moving faster than the larger number of slower moving air molecules at lower altitude. If this is true, why would net heat transfer be different?

I don't believe this is the case. As far as I know the temperature of a gas is usually taken to be the average kinetic energy of it's particles. If so, then fewer molecules means fewer interactions per second between the air and the object to carry heat away, which would lower the heat transfer.

calgarian said:
It's not true, at least not for an ideal gas. For an ideal gas, the distribution of velocity is a function of temperature only. Diatomic oxygen is pretty close in behavior to an ideal gas, and diatomic nitrogen is even closer yet.

calgarian said:

Temperature is temperature, you're right. But he is correct that the cooking behavior will still be different.

The key difference is the pressure (and probably density as well) of the air being lower, which results in a lower convectivity coefficient of the air. This means that the heat transfer from the air to your food is slower.

In order to achieve the same amount of total energy transfer to your food, you must increase the cooking time or increase the temperature.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for all the replies.

So this must mean that the same temperature feels warmer to us at sea level compared to high altitude. I'm curious if anyone knows by how much. For example, if someone accustomed to sea level moved to Denver (5000 ft), what temperature would an 80 degree day feel like to him?

It isn't really that simple -- and you have it backwards. Our bodies dissipate heat via convection, radiation and evaporation. Even the convective part is highly dependent on the wind. So being in Denver will cause your body to dissipate less heat -- and thus feel hotter -- than being at sea level. But not enough to make a noticeable difference vs a slight breeze.

It does, however, have a significant impact on heating and air conditioning systems, which have fixed airflows and intended design temperatures. It can make a difference of 20% for Denver, which is enough to eat-up a typical safety factor.

Russ, do you know if sweating is more or less effective thanks to the reduced pressure?

Drakkith said:
Russ, do you know if sweating is more or less effective thanks to the reduced pressure?

May I add the factor "air humidity" which is very important when considering sweating.

Drakkith said:
That's a toughie. The air will have less capacity to carry moisture away from you, but I think the evaporation itself would be faster due to the lower pressure.

Related to Is temperature different at altitude?

1. What causes the temperature to change at different altitudes?

The temperature at different altitudes changes due to a decrease in air pressure. As altitude increases, the air molecules become more spread out and the air pressure decreases. This leads to a decrease in the amount of heat that the air can hold, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

2. Is there a specific rate at which the temperature changes with increasing altitude?

Yes, the temperature decreases at a rate of approximately 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit per 1000 feet of altitude. This rate is known as the environmental lapse rate and can vary slightly depending on factors such as humidity and location.

3. How does temperature at altitude affect living organisms?

The temperature at altitude can have significant impacts on living organisms. As altitude increases, the temperature decreases, making it more difficult for organisms to maintain their body temperature. This can lead to physiological and behavioral adaptations in order to survive in these extreme environments.

4. Are there any exceptions to the general decrease in temperature with altitude?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the general trend of decreasing temperature with altitude. For example, in the stratosphere, the temperature actually increases with altitude due to the absorption of solar radiation by ozone. Additionally, localized weather patterns or geographical features can also cause variations in temperature at different altitudes.

5. How does temperature at altitude affect weather patterns?

Temperature at altitude plays a crucial role in the formation of weather patterns. As warm air rises, it cools and condenses, leading to the formation of clouds and precipitation. The temperature at different altitudes can also affect wind patterns, as air moves from areas of high pressure to low pressure in an attempt to equalize temperature and pressure differences.