Is Texas A&M University a Good School

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's concerns about attending Texas A&M University instead of a prestigious Ivy League school. The responses reassure the speaker that A&M is a great school and that success is determined by one's own accomplishments, not the name on their diploma. They also mention the opportunities and academic diversity at A&M, as well as the importance of making the most out of college regardless of where one attends.
claytonh4
Is Texas A&M University a "Good School"

Hi everyone, I'm going to be a senior in high school this year and will probably be attending Texas A&M pursuing a major in bio or physics the year after that when I go to college. I'm kind of upset that I feel like I've "wasted" my time in high school so I won't be able to go to a really good school like Harvard, MIT, CalTech, etc. I mean my grades are really good- all A's all AP classes, 4.6 GPA, number 11 in my class of 500, but I def. don't have the credentials, extra curriculars, or the test scores (I'm not great with standardized testing) to go to my dream school- Harvard. So anyway, I'm going to go to A&M and I was wondering if someone could sort of let me know, or reassure me as to whether or not A&M is a fine school and if it's OK to get a degree from a university like that rather than a big Ivy League school, and still get into a great med. school or grad. school a few years down the line.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

No, you might as well give up if you don't go to Harvard. (Oh the arrogance!)

I'm a 'horn, so I'm obligated to say that Aggies are dumb, stupid, and smell like sardines too, but the fact is Texas A&M is a good school, nice and rigorous. One thing's for sure, though - you might want to button your whole "wasted time" shtick. When you go to a school like A&M, you should feel like you've accomplished something. It's certainly not worse than Harvard in any respect (and frankly I'd argue it's better in some ways), and you'll have significantly less debt to show for your contrived piece of paper at the end of it.

A&M is one of the best schools in the country for engineering. Also college is what you make of it and your measure of success ought to be how you feel about your accomplishments and not preconcieved notions of others.

Thanks for your replies! I know that you don't have to go to Harvard to be successful in your field, I guess I just kinda got into my head that you got to be the best to succeed, but like you both said, I should pursue the great amount of opportunities that A&M has to offer and try to be the best in that respect- what I actually accomplish, not what name ends up on the top of my diploma. Thanks again guys, I feel a lot better.

I like that attitude! Get Results!
Also, I forgot to mention that since Texas is a HUGE school you will have quite a bit of academic diversity at your disposal.

Aero51 said:
A&M is one of the best schools in the country for engineering. Also college is what you make of it and your measure of success ought to be how you feel about your accomplishments and not preconcieved notions of others.

Woah there! Don't go too far now!

But yes, Texas A&M is an excellent school. And for undergraduate, what matters is a "good enough" school that gives you a solid grounding. No one cares where you did your undergrad once you finished you PhD (assuming you want one).

College is what you make of it. Excellent, excellent advice. Seize it!

FAQ: Is Texas A&M University a Good School

What are the admission requirements for Texas A&M University?

The admission requirements for Texas A&M University vary depending on the program and level of study. Generally, undergraduate students must have a high school diploma or equivalent and meet minimum GPA and standardized test score requirements. Graduate students must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited university and meet program-specific requirements.

What is the reputation of Texas A&M University?

Texas A&M University has a strong reputation as a top-tier research institution and is consistently ranked among the top universities in the nation. It is known for its academic excellence, diverse student body, and strong sense of community and tradition.

What programs and majors are offered at Texas A&M University?

Texas A&M University offers over 150 undergraduate degree programs and more than 125 graduate degree programs across a wide range of disciplines, including engineering, business, agriculture, liberal arts, and more. There are also many opportunities for interdisciplinary studies and research.

What is the cost of attending Texas A&M University?

The cost of attending Texas A&M University varies depending on factors such as residency status, program of study, and housing options. However, the university is committed to providing affordable education and offers a variety of financial aid and scholarship opportunities to help students cover costs.

What is campus life like at Texas A&M University?

Texas A&M University offers a vibrant and diverse campus community with over 1,000 student organizations and countless opportunities for involvement and leadership. The university also has strong athletic programs and a rich tradition of school spirit and pride. Additionally, the city of College Station offers a variety of cultural and recreational activities for students to enjoy.