Is that a bit better?Double Integral in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the correct expression for converting to polar coordinates is f(x,y)dxdy → f(rcosθ,rsinθ)r drdθ. Therefore, for the given question, the integrand should be (a+r)r, not (a+a)r.
sa1988

Homework Statement

2q2kemd.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As with my other recent posts, I just want to check if I'm right or wrong as I don't have an answer scheme to go by.

For this question I simply converted to polar to get:

∫∫(a+a)r drdθ

for 0<r<a, 0<θ<2π ,

which solved to give

2πa3 .

Was that correct? I'm convinced I did something wrong because it seems a very easy 7 marks.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You almost got it right. You made a silly arithmetical error. The integrand should be (a+r)r not (a+a)r.

##\int_0^a\int_0^{2\pi}(a+r)r d\theta dr##

Last edited:
Aaah right ok. Hmmm maybe a silly arithmetic error, but I can't see why it should be (a+ar)?

For converting to polar I did, dxdy = r drdθ,

which I presumed would then give the expression I used.

I can't see where I went wrong?

Sorry it should be this ##\int_0^a\int_0^{2\pi}(a+r)r d\theta dr##. What is ##\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## after you transform it into polar coordinates? What is ##x## and ##y## in terms of ##r## and ##\theta##?

Ah yeah I think I follow now. I think the x2 + y2 = a2 thing threw me a bit, making me think I should just swap it for an 'a' when really I can't do that at all.

It should be

f(x,y)dxdy → f(rcosθ,rsinθ)r drdθ

So in the case of the question

[a + √(x2 + y2)] dxdy → [(a + r)r] drdθ

Related to Is that a bit better?Double Integral in Polar Coordinates

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a region in the x-y plane.

What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral only involves integrating over one variable, while a double integral involves integrating over two variables. The result of a single integral is a single value, while the result of a double integral is a function of the remaining variable.

How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use various methods such as iterated integration, polar coordinates, or change of variables to find the final value of the integral.

What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They can be used to calculate the volume of an object, the mass of a 3D shape, or the average value of a function over a region in the x-y plane.

What are some common mistakes when evaluating a double integral?

Some common mistakes when evaluating a double integral include using incorrect limits of integration, forgetting to include the appropriate differential (dx or dy), and misapplying the chosen method of integration. It is important to carefully check each step of the calculation to avoid these errors.