Is that subset of the set of continuous differential functions closed?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the subspace W = \{f\in C^1_{[0,1]} | f(1)=0\} is a closed subspace of C^1_{[0,1]}. The solution involves taking a convergent sequence in W and proving that the limit is also in W. This is done by showing that the inner product of the sequence and the function approaches zero, which implies that the limit also has the property of f(1)=0.
approx1mate
Hi! I have used the physics forum a lot of times to deal with several tasks that I had and now its the time to introduce my own query! So please bear with me :-)

Homework Statement

Equip the set [itex] C^1_{[0,1]} [/itex] with the inner product:
[tex]
\left\langle f,g \right\rangle= \int_{0}^{1} f(x)\bar{g(x)} + \int_{0}^{1} f'(x)\bar{g'(x)}dx
[/tex]
(the bar above the [itex] g [/itex] function is the conjugate symbol)
I need to show that the subspace:

[tex]
W = \{f\in C^1_{[0,1]} | f(1)=0\}
[/tex]

is a closed subspace of [itex] C^1_{[0,1]} [/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex] \left\langle f,cosh \right\rangle = f(1)sinh(1) [/itex].

The Cauchy inequality: [itex] |\left\langle f,g \right\rangle | \le \|f\|\|g\|[/itex],
the Pythagoras theorem: [itex] \|f+g\|^2 = \|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2 [/itex],
the parallelogram law: [itex] \|f+g\|^2 + \|f-g\|^2 = 2(\|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2)[/itex],
the triangular inequality: [itex] \|f+g\| \le \|f\| + \|g\|[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let us take a Cauchy sequence [itex] \{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty} \in W[/itex], because
[itex](C^1_{[0,1]},\|\cdot \|)[/itex] is a Hilbert space then the sequence [itex] \{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty} [/itex] converges to [itex] f\in C^1_{[0,1]} [/itex].
Therefore it only remains to be shown that at the limit [itex] f(1)=0 [/itex].

At this point I am stuck. I can see that the [itex] cosh [/itex] function is orthogonal
to the set [itex] W [/itex] and I also tried to use the above "relevant equations" but
I couldn't see what would be a possible proof.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
approx1mate said:
Hi! I have used the physics forum a lot of times to deal with several tasks that I had and now its the time to introduce my own query! So please bear with me :-)

Homework Statement

Equip the set [itex] C^1_{[0,1]} [/itex] with the inner product:
[tex]
\left\langle f,g \right\rangle= \int_{0}^{1} f(x)\bar{g(x)} + \int_{0}^{1} f'(x)\bar{g'(x)}dx
[/tex]
(the bar above the [itex] g [/itex] function is the conjugate symbol)
I need to show that the subspace:

[tex]
W = \{f\in C^1_{[0,1]} | f(1)=0\}
[/tex]

is a closed subspace of [itex] C^1_{[0,1]} [/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex] \left\langle f,cosh \right\rangle = f(1)sinh(1) [/itex].

The Cauchy inequality: [itex] |\left\langle f,g \right\rangle | \le \|f\|\|g\|[/itex],
the Pythagoras theorem: [itex] \|f+g\|^2 = \|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2 [/itex],
the parallelogram law: [itex] \|f+g\|^2 + \|f-g\|^2 = 2(\|f\|^2 + \|g\|^2)[/itex],
the triangular inequality: [itex] \|f+g\| \le \|f\| + \|g\|[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let us take a Cauchy sequence [itex] \{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty} \in W[/itex], because
[itex](C^1_{[0,1]},\|\cdot \|)[/itex] is a Hilbert space then the sequence [itex] \{f^n\}_{n=1}^{\infty} [/itex] converges to [itex] f\in C^1_{[0,1]} [/itex].
Therefore it only remains to be shown that at the limit [itex] f(1)=0 [/itex].

At this point I am stuck. I can see that the [itex] cosh [/itex] function is orthogonal
to the set [itex] W [/itex] and I also tried to use the above "relevant equations" but
I couldn't see what would be a possible proof.

Any advice?

First of all, I very much doubt that your space is a Hilbert space. It has an inner-product, but are you sure it is complete. Did you prove it??

Anyway, you don't really need it for the proof. For the proof you must take a convergent sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W. So you know that [itex]f_n(1)=0[/itex] for all n. You must prove that the limit f also has f(1)=0.

You must not prove that [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] is Cauchy and you must not prove that it converges. You know convergence from the hypothesis.

micromass said:
First of all, I very much doubt that your space is a Hilbert space. It has an inner-product, but are you sure it is complete. Did you prove it??
You are right, I was wrong about that.

micromass said:
Anyway, you don't really need it for the proof. For the proof you must take a convergent sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W. So you know that [itex]f_n(1)=0[/itex] for all n. You must prove that the limit f also has f(1)=0.

Ok, that was my thought from the very beginning. But if I need just the [itex]f(1)=0[/itex], then how do I know that the limit [itex] f [/itex] is also a continuous differentiable function? Don't I need that as well?

approx1mate said:
You are right, I was wrong about that.

Ok, that was my thought from the very beginning. But if I need just the [itex]f_n(1)=0[/itex], then how do I know that the limit [itex] f [/itex] is also a continuous differentiable function? Don't I need that as well?

No, you have that.

So what you have is that a sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W converges to a function [itex]f\in C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex]. You must show f to be in W.

micromass said:
No, you have that.

So what you have is that a sequence [itex](f_n)_n[/itex] in W converges to a function [itex]f\in C^1_{[0,1]}[/itex]. You must show f to be in W.

Oh yes, I am sorry, all that time I didn't pay any attention to the definition of W.
Thanks

I think that the solution is:

[itex] |\left\langle f^n-f,cosh \right\rangle| \le \|f^n-f\|\|cosh\| [/itex]

But [itex] \forall \epsilon \ \ \exists n_o(\epsilon) [/itex] such that for any
[itex] n \ge n_0(\epsilon) [/itex] we have that:

[itex] |\left\langle f^n-f,cosh \right\rangle| \le \epsilon \|cosh\| [/itex]

Therefore [itex] \left\langle f^n-f,cosh \right\rangle \to 0 \Leftrightarrow [/itex] [itex] \left\langle f^n,cosh \right\rangle - \left\langle f,cosh \right\rangle \to 0 \Leftrightarrow [/itex]

[itex] f(1)sinh(1) \to 0 \Leftrightarrow f(1)\to 0 [/itex]

Last edited:
Looks ok. However in the last line, you don't want =0 but rather [itex]\rightarrow 0[/itex].

So you got

[tex]<f^n-f,cosh>\rightarrow 0[/tex]

for example.

micromass said:
Looks ok. However in the last line, you don't want =0 but rather [itex]\rightarrow 0[/itex].

So you got

[tex]<f^n-f,cosh>\rightarrow 0[/tex]

for example.

Yes you are right again, thanks!

Related to Is that subset of the set of continuous differential functions closed?

1. What does it mean for a set of continuous differential functions to be closed?

In mathematics, a set is considered closed if it contains all of its limit points. This means that any sequence of points within the set will also converge to a point within the set. In the context of continuous differential functions, this means that any sequence of functions within the set will also converge to a function within the set.

2. How is the closure of a set of continuous differential functions determined?

The closure of a set can be determined by finding the set of all limit points of the original set. In the case of continuous differential functions, this would involve finding the set of all functions that can be approached through a sequence of functions within the original set.

3. What are the implications of a set of continuous differential functions being closed?

The closure of a set of continuous differential functions has several implications. It means that any sequence of functions within the set will converge to a function within the set. This also implies that the set is complete, meaning it contains all of its limit points. Additionally, the closure of a set can also determine the continuity and differentiability of functions within the set.

4. How is the closure of a set of continuous differential functions related to the concept of compactness?

The closure of a set of continuous differential functions is closely related to the concept of compactness. A set is considered compact if it is both closed and bounded. In the case of continuous differential functions, the closure of the set being bounded means that the set is limited to a finite range of values, while being closed means that it contains all of its limit points.

5. Can the closure of a set of continuous differential functions change?

Yes, the closure of a set of continuous differential functions can change depending on the set itself. If the set is already closed, then its closure will not change. However, if the set is not closed, then its closure will be the smallest closed set that contains the original set. This means that the closure can change if new functions are added to the set that were not part of the original set.