Is the argument sound? Yes, the argument is sound.

In summary, if a and b are nonzero real numbers and a< 1/a < b < 1/b, then it can be proven that a<-1.
Keen94

Homework Statement

Suppose that a and b are nonzero real numbers. Prove that if a< 1/a < b < 1/b then a<-1.

Homework Equations

Givens: a and b are nonzero real numbers, a< 1/a < b < 1/b, and a≥-1.
Goal: Arrive at a contradiction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Scratch work: First establish whether a<0 or a>0.
Case i.) a>0 and Case ii.) a<0
Case i). a>0. a( a<1/a) ⇒ a2<1 and a(a≥-1) ⇒ a2≥-a.
However a2≥0 and -a<0. Therefore a>0 contradicts the fact that a is at leas greater than or equal to -1.
Is the argument sound? Thanks for the feedback!

Physics news on Phys.org
Keen94 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that a and b are nonzero real numbers. Prove that if a< 1/a < b < 1/b then a<-1.

Homework Equations

However a2≥0 and -a<0. Therefore a>0 contradicts the fact that a is at leas greater than or equal to -1.
Your argument doesn't do anything with b, which could also be either negative or positive.

Your hypothesis is (in part) that a < 1/a and that b < 1/b. What do these inequalities say about the numbers a and 1/a and b and 1/b?

Your other hypothesis is that a -1.

Keen94 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

No. Take ##a=1/2## for example. Clearly, ##a>0## holds so ##a \ge -1## does as well. Moreover, you have ##a^2 = 1/4 \ge 0## and ##-a = -1/2 < 0##. There's no apparent contradiction.

Keen94 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I don't see any where in here where you establish the "fact" that "a is greater than or equal to -1" that you say is contradicted. Of course, in the case that a> 0 it certainly must be greater than -1, but that doesn't seem to be what you are referring to. You do show, correctly, that a2≥-a. But that's trivially true if x> 0. It certainly doesn't contradict "a is greater than or equal to -1"!

I see I forgot to post the solution here. woops sorry guys.

If a,b≠0 and a<1/a<b<1/b then a<-1
We can see that
a<1/b ⇒ab<1 if b>0 or it implies that ab>1 if b<0
and
1/a<b ⇒ab<1 if a<0 or it implies that ab>1 if a>0
We can conclude that ab<1 when b>0 and a<0 otherwise the inequality a<b does not hold.
Since a<1/a
then a2>1 since a<0
therefore lal>1
⇒a>1 or a<-1 bur a<0 thus a<-1.

Related to Is the argument sound? Yes, the argument is sound.

1. What is proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction is a method of mathematical proof in which a statement is shown to be true by assuming its negation and then arriving at a contradiction, thus proving the original statement to be true.

2. How does proof by contradiction work?

Proof by contradiction works by assuming the opposite of the statement being proven and then using logical reasoning and known facts to arrive at a contradiction. This contradiction then proves that the original statement must be true.

3. What is the difference between direct proof and proof by contradiction?

In a direct proof, the statement is shown to be true by using logical steps and known facts. In proof by contradiction, the statement is shown to be true by assuming its opposite and arriving at a contradiction.

4. When is proof by contradiction used?

Proof by contradiction is often used when a direct proof is difficult to find or when it is more efficient to prove the statement by showing that its opposite leads to a contradiction.

5. What are the benefits of using proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction allows for the efficient and elegant proof of mathematical statements that may be difficult to prove using other methods. It also helps to strengthen understanding and intuition about the statement being proven.

Back