Is the Charge of a Positron the Same as a Proton?

In summary, antiparticles have three properties that are opposite to those of their corresponding particles: electric charge, color charge, and flavor. These properties determine the nature of the interactions between particles. Additionally, antiparticles have backward spin (chirality) and are considered "CPT Pairs" when combined with their corresponding particles.
dleacock
I was reading that the antiparticle of a particle is the same, except it has an opposite charge, which cancels it out. if the charge of an electron is -1.60 x 10^-19, would that make the charge of the positron +1.60 x 10^-19? but isn't that also the charge of the proton? I must be missing something...:rolleyes:

thanks
dleacock

Physics news on Phys.org
Positron and proton have the same charge. The main difference is in mass and also composition. Positron is elementary while proton consists of 3 quarks (2 up and 1 down) held together by gluons.

I've also heard a positron be called a electron moving backwards in time, or something similar like that. What is it about the property of an antipartcile that cancels out the particle, just its charge?

thanks

Particle moving backward in time is a way to visualize antiparticle. (according to many leading physicsts, nobody really understands quantum theory).
When a particle colides with its antiparticle, they both disappear into a burst of energy (two gamma rays usually). It has nothing to do with charge - neutron plus antineutron leads to the same result.

dleacock said:
What is it about the property of an antipartcile that cancels out the particle, just its charge?

As far as I know, there are three properties that are "opposite" in antiparticles:

the electric charge, which determines the nature of the electric force on the particle.

the "color charge," which determines the nature of the strong interaction between two particles (i.e. there are red, green and blue quarks, and anti-red, anti-green and anti-blue antiquarks).

The "flavor" which determines the nature of the weak interaction between two particles. For example, it's what distinguishes an electron, a muon and a tau; or an electron-neutrino, muon-neutrino, and a tau-neutrino. An electron can interact to produce an electron-neutrino but not an anti-electron-neutrino, or a muon-neutrino, or a tau-neutrino.

jtbell said:
As far as I know, there are three properties that are "opposite" in antiparticles:

the electric charge, which determines the nature of the electric force on the particle.

the "color charge," which determines the nature of the strong interaction between two particles (i.e. there are red, green and blue quarks, and anti-red, anti-green and anti-blue antiquarks).

The "flavor" which determines the nature of the weak interaction between two particles. For example, it's what distinguishes an electron, a muon and a tau; or an electron-neutrino, muon-neutrino, and a tau-neutrino. An electron can interact to produce an electron-neutrino but not an anti-electron-neutrino, or a muon-neutrino, or a tau-neutrino.

JT, isn't the spin (chirality) backward too? Aren't antiparticles "CPT Pairs"?

Related to Is the Charge of a Positron the Same as a Proton?

1. Is the charge of a positron positive or negative?

The charge of a positron is positive. It has the same magnitude as the charge of an electron, but with opposite sign.

2. How does the charge of a positron compare to the charge of a proton?

The charge of a positron is exactly the same as the charge of a proton. Both particles have a charge of +1 elementary charge.

3. Are the mass and charge of a positron related?

Yes, the charge of a positron is directly related to its mass. The positron has the same mass as an electron, but with a positive charge.

4. Can a positron and a proton interact with each other?

Yes, a positron and a proton can interact through the electromagnetic force. They will attract each other due to their opposite charges.

5. Can a positron exist in isolation or does it need to be paired with an electron?

A positron can exist in isolation, but it is unstable and will eventually annihilate with an electron, releasing energy in the form of gamma rays.

Back