Is the Cloud of Hydrogen Gas Likely to Collapse?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a cloud consisting of 8 solar masses of hydrogen gas will collapse, given its temperature and radius. The attempted solution involves using the Jeans mass formula, but the logic and calculations are unclear. The final conclusion is that the Jeans length suggests the cloud will not collapse.
Meganwright

Homework Statement

A cloud consists of 8 solar masses of hydrogen gas (H2). Its temperature is 20 K and its radius is 0.6 light years. Will it collapse?

Homework Equations

jeans mass

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b
I've tried to use jeans mass to solve this however I am finding the formula difficult to understand

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work.

So far I'm using the formula
3/2kT <GMm/R
And (3KT/2Gm) x k >mj

I'm substituting m=2.167x10^-27
G=6.67x10^-11
K=1.38x10^-23
T=20
R=0.6

However I'm not sure what it is exactly that I'm gaining from using these formulae?
I'm getting that (3kT/2Gm) x R = 1.115011357 x 10^15 ?
I'm aiming to get an answer of
Jeans mass = 1.05 x 10^31 kg
Which is less than 8 solar masses (1.6 x 10 ^31) so it will collapse?

I struggled to follow your logic above. Seem to be a few typos:
(3KT/2Gm) x k >mj
(3kT/2Gm) x R = Mj ?
(3kT/2Gm) x R = 1.115011357 x 10^15
√((3kT/2Gm) x R) = 1.115011357 x 10^15 ?
Also, I don't see online a formula with that 3/2 factor. I see one with 15/4pi, another that approximates that to 1. Anyway, using your 3/2 I get that the Jeans length/radius = 0.84, which suggests to me it won't collapse. (I'm a bit confused over whether the Jeans length is a radius or a diameter, but if it's a diameter then the actual radius is much too large to collapse.)

. Jeans mass is the minimum mass that a cloud of gas must have in order for it to collapse under its own gravitational force. It is given by the equation Mj = (5kT/4GmH)^3/2, where k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature, G is the gravitational constant, and mH is the mass of a hydrogen atom.

In this case, the jeans mass of the cloud would be approximately 4.55 x 10^35 kg. Since the mass of the cloud is significantly greater than this value, it is likely that it will collapse under its own gravity. However, there are other factors that can affect the collapse of a cloud, such as the presence of turbulence or magnetic fields. Therefore, further analysis and observation would be needed to accurately predict the collapse of this cloud.

FAQ: Is the Cloud of Hydrogen Gas Likely to Collapse?

1. What is a cloud collapse?

A cloud collapse refers to the process by which a cloud of gas and dust collapses under its own gravity, leading to the formation of a new star.

2. Can all clouds collapse?

Not all clouds can collapse. Only large, dense clouds of gas and dust, known as molecular clouds, have enough mass and density to undergo collapse and form stars.

3. What triggers a cloud collapse?

A cloud collapse can be triggered by a variety of factors, such as shock waves from supernova explosions, collisions with other clouds, or the gravitational pull of nearby stars or galaxies.

4. How long does a cloud collapse take?

The time it takes for a cloud to collapse and form a star can vary greatly, ranging from a few hundred thousand years to several million years. The exact duration depends on the size and density of the cloud, as well as the external factors causing the collapse.

5. Will a cloud always collapse into a star?

No, not all cloud collapses result in the formation of a star. In some cases, the cloud may not have enough mass to overcome the forces of pressure and turbulence, causing it to fragment and form multiple smaller clouds instead of a single star.

Back