Is the Commutator of a Cross Product a Vector Operator?

In summary, we have been given the task to show that the vector cross product of two vector operators, \vec{V} and \vec{W}, is also a vector operator. The approach to do this is by showing that the commutator of this vector operator with the angular momentum vector operator, \vec{J}, is not equal to zero. This means that it is not a scalar operator, but it is necessary to show that it satisfies the condition for a vector operator, which is [(V x W)_i, J_j] = i\hbar\epsilon_{ijk}(V x W)_k.
teroenza

Homework Statement

Given that [tex]\vec{V} [/tex] and [tex] \vec{W}[/tex] are vector operators, show that [tex] \vec{V}\times \vec{W}[/tex] is also a vector operator.

2. The attempt at a solution
The only way I know how to do this is by showing that the commutator with the angular momentum vector operator ([itex] \vec{J}[/itex]) is zero. Namely that [itex] [\vec{V}\times \vec{W} , \vec{J}] = 0[/itex]. I want to start the problem by expressing the commutator as I would usually do by writing [A,B] = AB - BA, but I don't know exactly which type of multiplication to use here. Intuition tells me the dot product, but I want to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dot product is right.

Edit: Or not, see below.

Last edited:
teroenza said:

Homework Statement

Given that [tex]\vec{V} [/tex] and [tex] \vec{W}[/tex] are vector operators, show that [tex] \vec{V}\times \vec{W}[/tex] is also a vector operator.

2. The attempt at a solution
The only way I know how to do this is by showing that the commutator with the angular momentum vector operator ([itex] \vec{J}[/itex]) is zero. Namely that [itex] [\vec{V}\times \vec{W} , \vec{J}] = 0[/itex]. I want to start the problem by expressing the commutator as I would usually do by writing [A,B] = AB - BA, but I don't know exactly which type of multiplication to use here. Intuition tells me the dot product, but I want to be sure.

No, it's not the dot-product. The usual meaning of [itex][A, \vec{J}][/itex] is that the result is a composite object (a tensor) with three components:

[itex][A, J_x][/itex], [itex][A, J_y][/itex], [itex][A, J_z][/itex]

If [itex]A[/itex] is itself a vector, then you get 9 components:

[itex][\vec{A}, \vec{J}] = T[/itex]

where [itex]T_{ij} = [A_i, J_j][/itex] and where [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex] are either [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex], or [itex]z[/itex].

As to your claim that for a vector operator, [itex][\vec{A}, \vec{J}] = 0[/itex], you should try an example with the momentum operator, [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]. Try [itex][p_x, J_y][/itex].

Thank you. That is a mistake above. I meant that the only way I know of to show that it is a vector operator, is to show that [itex]
[\vec{V}\times \vec{W} , \vec{J}] \neq 0[/itex]. I was able to show that this is the case. This means it is not a scalar operator, but I am not sure if this is sufficient to show that it is a vector operator. It does mean that the rotation generator operator U won't commute with V x W.

Edit: I believe now that the condition to show that it is a vector operator, is to show that: [tex]
[(\vec{V}\times \vec{W})_{i}, \vec{J}_{j}] = i \hbar \epsilon_{ijk} (\vec{V}\times \vec{W})_{k}
[/tex]

Last edited:

FAQ: Is the Commutator of a Cross Product a Vector Operator?

1. What is the definition of the commutator of a cross product?

The commutator of a cross product is a mathematical operation that involves taking the cross product of two vectors and then subtracting the cross product of the same two vectors in reverse order. It is represented by [A,B] and can also be written as A x B - B x A.

2. How is the commutator of a cross product different from the cross product itself?

The main difference between the commutator of a cross product and the cross product itself is that the commutator is a vector quantity, while the cross product is a scalar quantity. This means that the commutator has both magnitude and direction, while the cross product only has magnitude.

3. What is the purpose of the commutator of a cross product in mathematics?

The commutator of a cross product is often used in vector calculus to simplify calculations involving vector operations. It is also used in quantum mechanics to determine the uncertainty relation between certain physical quantities.

4. How is the commutator of a cross product related to the commutator of other vector operations?

The commutator of a cross product is related to the commutator of other vector operations, such as the commutator of dot products and the commutator of vector addition. In general, the commutator of two vector operations is a measure of how much the order of the operations affects the final result.

5. Can the commutator of a cross product be used to find the cross product of non-commuting vectors?

No, the commutator of a cross product can only be used to find the cross product of vectors that commute, meaning that their order does not affect the final result. If the vectors do not commute, the commutator will not yield the correct result and other methods must be used to find the cross product.

Back