Is the concentration of solids really constant?

• Thread starter sgstudent
  • Start date
In summary: PSI says to consider the volume of the solid...but in the Kc it just says to consider the solid itself and not including the water or solution surrounding it.Can someone clarify?The PSI calculates the concentration of the solids in the gas. So they take the total mass/volume of the container to get the concentration. Then they express it in terms of particles per volume. Whereas with the Kc, they just measure the concentration of the solid itself and not including the water or solution surrounding it.
sgstudent
Solids has a constant concentration as the density of the solid is fixed. However, in the pollutant standard index for particulates and for toothpaste the concentration of calcium carbonate can vary.

This seems to contradict with the statement that solids have a constant concentration as toothpastes are said to be around 20% by mass of calcium carbonate. While for the PSI, the concentration of the solids are calculated in mass of particulates/volume of container.

So why is there a contradiction for this actually?

Thanks for the help :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly what you are talking about, it is pure solid that has a constant concentration, not every solid.

Borek said:
If I understand correctly what you are talking about, it is pure solid that has a constant concentration, not every solid.

Oh what do you mean by that? Because when i put a solid block of wood into water its concentration is still moles of wood/volume of wood right? But then for the toothpaste case, the concentration is now number of moles of calcium carbonate/volume of toothpaste sample. So I'm not too sure why the 'volume' represents different things now.

Sorry for being vague in the post. Hope you can help out here :) Thanks in advance for the help!

You are confusing things, but I am not yet able to see where is the confusion.

Imagine a 1L cube of pure copper - it is has a constant concentration of copper, one that can be easily calculated. No matter what you do, concentration of copper in such a cube will be always identical.

Now imagine 1L cube of a silver/copper alloy - you can easily express its composition by listing concentrations of both metals. And you can prepare many such cubes, and each can have different composition and different concentrations of copper/silver.

Borek said:
You are confusing things, but I am not yet able to see where is the confusion.

Imagine a 1L cube of pure copper - it is has a constant concentration of copper, one that can be easily calculated. No matter what you do, concentration of copper in such a cube will be always identical.

Now imagine 1L cube of a silver/copper alloy - you can easily express its composition by listing concentrations of both metals. And you can prepare many such cubes, and each can have different composition and different concentrations of copper/silver.

My confusion was the difference in concentrations. Like for a pure substance we would say that the concentration is fixed. But for a impure solid, why would the volume of the silver (in the alloy example) include the volume of the copper too? I was thinking the volume should be just of the silver only.

As for the PSI thing, it calculates the concentration of the solids in the gas. So now they take the total mass/volume of the container. So why should they consider the volume as of the container and not of just its own volume? Because if I had that 1L cube of pure copper in water, I wouldn't say its concentration is the silver's mass/volume of water+copper. The volume would just be the 1L right?

Thanks for the help :smile:

sgstudent said:
My confusion was the difference in concentrations. Like for a pure substance we would say that the concentration is fixed. But for a impure solid, why would the volume of the silver (in the alloy example) include the volume of the copper too? I was thinking the volume should be just of the silver only.

You have a homogeneous mixture, and you measure volume of the mixture, not separately volumes of the components.

As for the PSI thing, it calculates the concentration of the solids in the gas. So now they take the total mass/volume of the container.

Sure thing, they do it because that's what they are interested in - how much solid particulates are present per some volume of gas.

So why should they consider the volume as of the container and not of just its own volume?

Own volume of what? Of the solid? It would not tell anything about how contaminated the air is, and that's what we are measuring.

Borek said:
You have a homogeneous mixture, and you measure volume of the mixture, not separately volumes of the components.

Sure thing, they do it because that's what they are interested in - how much solid particulates are present per some volume of gas.

Own volume of what? Of the solid? It would not tell anything about how contaminated the air is, and that's what we are measuring.

Oh so actually how do we tell if the volume is going to be of the container? Because in the Kc, the volume of the solid is of just the solid and not including the water or solution surrounding it. While in the PSI we include the both the volume of the solid as well as the air in a given sample.

So I'm not too sure when to use the 2. Thanks again :)

FAQ: Is the concentration of solids really constant?

1. What is concentration?

Concentration refers to the amount of a substance present in a given volume or space. It is typically measured in moles per liter (mol/L) for solutions and grams per liter (g/L) for gases.

2. How is concentration calculated?

Concentration can be calculated by dividing the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) by the volume of the solution or space it is in. This can be expressed as molarity (moles of solute per liter of solution) or mass/volume (grams of solute per liter of solution).

3. What are some common units used to express concentration?

Some common units used to express concentration include moles per liter (mol/L), grams per liter (g/L), parts per million (ppm), and percent (%) by mass or volume.

4. How does concentration affect a solution?

The concentration of a solution can affect its properties, such as density, boiling point, and reactivity. Higher concentrations can also lead to a stronger or more concentrated solution, while lower concentrations may result in a weaker or more dilute solution.

5. How is concentration related to dilution?

Dilution is the process of decreasing the concentration of a solution by adding more solvent (usually water). The resulting solution will have a lower concentration because the same amount of solute is now spread out over a larger volume.

Back