Is the Concept of Holes in Intrinsic Semiconductors Merely Imaginary?

In summary, in an intrinsic semiconductor, when an electron jumps into the conduction band, a hole is left behind in the valence band. This is a physical phenomenon governed by quantum mechanics, where the hole is an empty orbital with a different effective mass than an electron. The energy level of an electron in the valence band is not necessarily lower compared to the Fermi level in an intrinsic semiconductor.
Outrageous
In intrinsic semiconductor, electrons jump into conduction band, a hole is left in valence band.
My question is the above statement correct? I though the hole is something we imagine, how to say the hole is in the valence band?
If I said an electron is in valence band, is that implying that the energy level of that electron is lower compared to the electron in fermi level? Am I correct? or it has any other meaning?
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Outrageous,

In intrinsic semiconductor, electrons jump into conduction band, a hole is left in valence band. My question is the above statement correct?

An intrinsic semiconductor means that the semiconductor is undoped. Holes and electrons in intrinsic semiconductor material are created in pairs when a semiconductor bond is broken. When an electron leaves the valance band, a hole is left behind. The hole and electron concentration will be equal and varies with the temperature of the intrinsic semiconductor.

I though the hole is something we imagine, how to say the hole is in the valence band?

In quantum mechanics (QM), a hole has a physical status as an electron does, including an effective mass, albeit a different effective mass than an electron.

If I said an electron is in valence band, is that implying that the energy level of that electron is lower compared to the electron in fermi level? Am I correct? or it has any other meaning?

The Fermi level in an intrinsic semiconductor is located close to the middle of the forbidden zone at room temperature. That means you will not find any free holes or electrons there, so the question is without meaning.

Ratch

Outrageous said:
In intrinsic semiconductor, electrons jump into conduction band, a hole is left in valence band.
My question is the above statement correct? I though the hole is something we imagine, how to say the hole is in the valence band?
Thank you.

Remember that all is governed by quantum mechanics, meaning that the energy of the electrons is discrete. Initially, the electron populates a quantum mechanical state [itex]k[/itex] (eigenfunction of the Hamilton operator, also called orbital) and when it jumps to the conduction band (into another orbital it finds there) its original, ground-state orbital remains, it does not just vanish. In this sense, the hole is very real, its an empty orbital, however there is no observable for it (as the the wavefunction is also no observable, only the square modulus of the wavefunction).

Related to Is the Concept of Holes in Intrinsic Semiconductors Merely Imaginary?

What is an intrinsic semiconductor?

An intrinsic semiconductor is a type of material that has electrical properties between those of conductors (such as metals) and insulators (such as rubber). This means that it can conduct electricity, but not as well as a conductor, and it can also act as an insulator, but not as well as an insulator. Examples of intrinsic semiconductors include silicon and germanium.

How is an intrinsic semiconductor different from an extrinsic semiconductor?

An intrinsic semiconductor is a pure, undoped material, meaning it has no impurities intentionally introduced into it. On the other hand, an extrinsic semiconductor is doped with impurities to alter its electrical properties. Extrinsic semiconductors are used in most electronic devices, while intrinsic semiconductors are used for research and experimentation purposes.

What is the band gap of an intrinsic semiconductor?

The band gap of an intrinsic semiconductor is the energy difference between the valence band (the highest energy level occupied by electrons) and the conduction band (the lowest energy level not occupied by electrons). This gap determines the electrical properties of the material, with larger band gaps resulting in better insulators and smaller band gaps resulting in better conductors.

How does temperature affect the conductivity of an intrinsic semiconductor?

As temperature increases, the conductivity of an intrinsic semiconductor also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, more electrons are able to jump from the valence band to the conduction band, resulting in more free electrons available for conduction. However, at very high temperatures, the material can become a good conductor due to the thermal energy causing the electrons to move around more freely.

What are some common applications of intrinsic semiconductors?

Intrinsic semiconductors are commonly used in research and development of new electronic devices, as well as in educational settings to teach the principles of semiconductors. They are also used as a starting material for the production of extrinsic semiconductors, which are used in a wide range of electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells.