Is the Definition of a Subbasis in Munkres' Topology Textbook Flawed?

• Thread starter ak416
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the Munkres book defines A to be a subbasis of X if it is a collection of subsets of X whose union equals X. The topology generated by this subbasis, denoted as T, is the collection of all unions of finite intersections of elements of A. However, this definition may be flawed as it is possible to construct a set A that is a subbasis but does not generate a topology, such as a partition on X where any finite intersection is empty. To resolve this issue, it is necessary to add the condition that X must be an element of A. Although this may have been assumed by the authors, it is not explicitly stated in the book. A possible solution is to consider each element of A
ak416
in the munkres book, they define A to be a subbasis of X if it is a collection of subsets of X whose union equals X. They define T, the topology generated by the subbasis to be the collection of all unions of finite intersections of elements of A.
This definition seems to be flawed because, given that definition, i can easily construct a set A that is a subbasis but won't generate a topology. For example, given any set X let A be a partition on X (A is made of disjoint sets). Any finite intersection here would be empty and therefore T (the topology generated by A) would be empty. I think the only way to resolve this issue is to add that X must be an element of A.
I think they assume this but it just bothers me that they didnt write it down explicitly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok i think i have resolved this problem. If you consider each element of A to be an intersection with itself, then it will work...

Since, by definition a topology is a set closed under finite intersection and arbitrary union, then your definition cannot be flawed, and your second post correctly identifies your problem.

Last edited:

Related to Is the Definition of a Subbasis in Munkres' Topology Textbook Flawed?

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, twisting, and bending, but not tearing or gluing.

What is the difference between topological spaces and metric spaces?

A topological space is a set of points with a set of open subsets that satisfy certain axioms, while a metric space is a topological space with a defined notion of distance between points. In other words, all metric spaces are topological spaces, but not all topological spaces are metric spaces.

What is a topology question?

A topology question is a problem or question that involves the study of topological spaces and their properties, such as continuity, compactness, and connectedness.

What are some real-life applications of topology?

Topology has many applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, biology, and economics. For example, topology is used in the study of fluid dynamics, network analysis, protein folding, and optimizing transportation networks.

What is the role of topology in data analysis?

Topology can be applied in data analysis to reveal the underlying structure and relationships within a dataset. This can help in identifying clusters, outliers, and patterns, and make predictions based on the topological properties of the data.