Is the Electric Flux Always 0 for a Uniform Electric Field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric reflux and how it is affected by a uniform electric field. It is noted that the total electric reflux is always 0 when there are no charges present, as stated by Gauss' law. The conversation also explores various examples, such as a cube, to illustrate this concept.
Acuben

Homework Statement

Not really a homework problem, but I have a conceptual question

assume a uniform Electric field in a direction, meaning Electric field does not change by location
if you have any objects, the total electric reflux is always 0?

Homework Equations

Electric reflux= ClosedIntegral (E * dA) r
where r is the unit vector of direction, can often be in form of cos x where x is the angle between the normal of a plane and direction of Electric field.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like if I solve a problem like this. I always get 0 so I'm wondering if it's a coincidence or not

it does seem to be true for cube through
consider E, or Electric field going up.
We only consider top part of the cube and the bottom plane of the cube since the sides would be perpendicular to E and and Elec. Flux=0 for side planes
As for Top plane, it would cancel out with bottom plane since they have same Area therefore same Elec flux.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's zero because Gauss' law requires that

[tex] \oint_S \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A} = \frac{Q_S}{\epsilon_0} ,[/tex]

where [tex] Q_S [/tex] is the net charge contained within the closed surface [tex]S[/tex]. If there are no charges, [tex] Q_S =0 [/tex] and the integral vanishes.

FAQ: Is the Electric Flux Always 0 for a Uniform Electric Field?

What is net electric flux?

Net electric flux is a measure of the total electric field passing through a given surface. It is a scalar quantity and is represented by the symbol ΦE.

What does it mean if net electric flux equals 0?

If the net electric flux equals 0, it means that the electric field passing through a closed surface is equal to the electric field leaving the surface. This indicates that there is no net charge enclosed by the surface.

Why is it important for net electric flux to equal 0?

It is important for net electric flux to equal 0 because it is a consequence of Gauss's Law, which is a fundamental law in electromagnetism. This law states that the net electric flux through a closed surface is directly proportional to the net charge enclosed by that surface.

What factors affect net electric flux?

The factors that affect net electric flux include the strength and direction of the electric field, the shape and size of the surface, and the amount of charge enclosed by the surface.

How is net electric flux calculated?

Net electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. This can be represented by the equation ΦE = ∫E⃗ · dA⃗, where E⃗ is the electric field and dA⃗ is the differential surface area vector.

Back