Is the Estimated Value of Precious Metals on Asteroid Accurate?

In summary, the conversation discussed the accuracy and potential benefits of a study that found an asteroid with precious metals worth at least $20 trillion. The participants questioned the feasibility and cost-effectiveness of retrieving these metals from space. The conversation also mentioned the large amount of gold in Earth's oceans and the challenges of space travel.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sounds reasonable to me.

Really? There's really that much in proven resources just sitting there on one asteroid? Whoa...

Well, it's a really big rock!

Well yeah but the Earth is a bigger rock. :PI'm kind of surprised no one has come up with a solid plan to go there, $20 trillion should be more than enough return to justify investing in space, hence my initial disbelief at the accuracy of that figure.

aquitaine said:
Well yeah but the Earth is a bigger rock. :P
Yes, and of course the Earth has much more!

[edit] Misread the quantity in the article...

Here's a link with a chart showing estimated reserves of a bunch of metals. They seem a little low based on what I've seen elsewhere, but it at least is a good order of magnitude and all in one place: http://www.24hgold.com/english/news...ewitt&article=1427726620G10020&redirect=False

It looks like there is more of the precious metals there, though less of the less precious such as aluminum.
[edit2] Note also, the Earth's reserves noted above are the relatively easily recoverable reserves, not the toal amount on earth. The calculation for Eros is the total amount.
I'm kind of surprised no one has come up with a solid plan to go there, $20 trillion should be more than enough return to justify investing in space, hence my initial disbelief at the accuracy of that figure.
The problem is getting the stuff back. Even if there were solid platinum rocks floating around in low Earth orbit, it wouldn't be cost effective to bring them back to earth.

Last edited:
Closer to home - there's 10-20 Million tons of gold in the Earth's oceans.

There are at least three problems:

(1) Where do you put this asteroid?

(2) Supply and demand - these metals wouldn't be so precious if there were an asteroid's worth of them on Earth.

(3) Space travel is expensive. It cost $170B in 2005 dollars for 380 kg of moon rocks. It will have to become many orders of magnitude cheaper before mining in space is cost-effective.

FAQ: Is the Estimated Value of Precious Metals on Asteroid Accurate?

1. What sources were used to gather information for this news report?

The sources used for a news report can vary, but they typically include eyewitness accounts, official statements, data from research studies or surveys, and interviews with experts or individuals involved in the event or topic being reported.

2. How do I know if the information presented in the news report is true?

To determine the accuracy of a news report, it is important to check the credibility of the sources used and cross-reference the information with other reliable sources. It can also be helpful to look for any biases or opinions presented in the report and consider the reputation of the news outlet itself.

3. Is the news report based on facts or opinions?

A news report should be based on facts and supported by evidence. However, some news outlets may present information with a biased or opinionated perspective. It is important to critically evaluate the information presented and consider the source's agenda.

4. Can I trust the news outlet that published this report?

The trustworthiness of a news outlet can vary and is often based on its reputation for accuracy and unbiased reporting. Before trusting a news outlet, it is important to research its history and track record for accuracy, as well as any potential biases or conflicts of interest.

5. How can I fact-check a news report?

Fact-checking a news report involves researching the information presented and verifying its accuracy with multiple sources. It can also be helpful to look for any red flags, such as sensationalized language or lack of credible sources. Fact-checking websites and organizations can also provide valuable resources for verifying information in news reports.