Is the First Expression of Central Force Always Conservative?

In summary: I can see how this could help with understanding.In summary, the second form of a central force is conservative, but the first form is not.
neelakash
General form of a central force is F(r)=F(r) (r^)

[Note that This form of central force satisfies L=rxp=0 as well]

But the isotropic or centro-symmetric form is

F(r)=F(r) (r^)

I found in a book that the second form of a central force is conservative.OK,this can be proved easily.What about the first expression?It is NOT centro-symmetric...depends on the position vector r it is acting on.

Why is it NOT conservative always?

Actually,I am not sure whether the same curl operation will do...Please check it...I am getting stuck in the differentiation of the r vector wihin the bracket while taking the curl.I feel confusion if the curl in two cases can be done in exactly similar way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't completely understand your question. Do you need to show that the force of the form

[tex] F(\vec{r}) \hat{e}_r [/tex]

is not conservative while

[tex] F(||\vec{r}||) \hat{e}_r[/tex]

is conservative. Is this what you're trying to do?

Last edited:
neelakash said:

NO. L CAN HAVE ANY VALUE.

F(r)=F(r) (r^)

I found in a book that the second form of a central force is conservative.OK,this can be proved easily.What about the first expression?It is NOT centro-symmetric...depends on the position vector r it is acting on.

[tex]({\vec k}\cdot{\vec r}){\hat r}[/tex] IS NOT CONSERVATIVE.

Actually,I am not sure whether the same curl operation will do...Please check it...I am getting stuck in the differentiation of the r vector wihin the bracket while taking the curl.I feel confusion if the curl in two cases can be done in exactly similar way.

[tex]\nabla\times[{\vec r}f({\vec r})]
=-{\vec r}\times\nabla f({\vec r})[/tex].

Last edited:
neelakash said:
>>[tex] \mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}) = f(\mathbf{r})\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

F(r)=F(r) (r^)
>>[tex] \mathbf{F} = f(r)\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

Recall that conservative forces yield path independent work functions.
This defines a relative potential difference between any two points as the unambiguous work required to move a test particle between the points.

Thus (unless you let force also be a function of velocity as in EM) the force must be the gradient of a scalar potential (this by --essentially-- the fundamental theorem of calculus). This dictates that for a spherically symmetric force the potential be a function only of the radial coordinate r (not the vector). Thence:

[tex] \mathbf{F}(\mathbf{r}) = \nabla V(r) = V'(r)\nabla r = V'(r)\hat{\mathbf{r}}[/tex]

Intuitively consider that if the force has a directional dependence in magnitude even though the direction is always radial then you could do more work lifting in one direction than in another. Put a "ferris wheel" so that objects going up on one side of the wheel experience less radial force than objects going down on the other side. The wheel will spin faster and faster getting energy from "nowhere". I.e. you have built a perpetual motion machine and are violating conservation of energy.

Electromagnetism gets around this problem because the Lorentz force is always perpendicular to the velocity of the test particle hence no actual work is done by the (magnetic) force. It only redirects the momentum without changing its magnitude.

Regards,
James Baugh

I am sorry as I was unable to keep the touch with you...

siddharth:Yes,you are right...I was talking of that.

Meir Achuz:That is nice...gradient of f(r) is not going to be || to r...In another forum,I found this approach.

jambaugh:A fragrance of physics.Very nice...

Related to Is the First Expression of Central Force Always Conservative?

1. What is a central force?

A central force is a type of force that acts on an object in a circular or elliptical motion and is always directed towards a fixed point, known as the center of force.

2. How does a central force affect the motion of an object?

A central force causes the object to move in a curved path around the center of force. The object's velocity and acceleration are constantly changing in direction, but always remain tangent to the path of motion.

3. What are some examples of central forces?

Gravitational force, electric force, and magnetic force are all examples of central forces. These forces act on objects towards a central point, such as the Earth's gravitational pull on objects.

4. How is central force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Central force is related to Newton's first and second laws of motion. According to the first law, an object will continue moving in a straight line at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a force. The second law states that a force will cause an object to accelerate in the direction of the force. In the case of a central force, the acceleration is constantly changing in direction, causing the object to move in a curved path.

5. What is the significance of understanding central force in physics?

Central force is an important concept in physics as it helps explain the motion of objects in circular or elliptical paths. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies, such as planets orbiting around the sun. Central force is also used in various engineering applications, such as designing satellite orbits and analyzing the motion of objects in a centrifuge.