Is the following statement true or false. prove?

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
In summary: So 9*3=27 and 12*3=36. So a and b are not both 3 divided by 2, they are both 3 divided by 3. This makes a/b false, since a and b cannot both be false.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

let a,b,c be three integers is a divides c and b divides c, then either a divides b or b divides a.

if a,b,c,d are real numbers with a<b and c<d, then ac<bd.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part 1

Since a/c and b/c

then, c=ak and c=bd for some integers k,d.

hence, ak=bd

so a/b=d/k

where d/k =l for some integer l.

so a/b=l... Therefore a/b. end of proof.

for part 2)

a<b and c<d (given).

let a= -5 and b=-4 satisfying a<b

and let c=-7 and d=-5 satisfying c<d

so then ac

= 35

and bd

= 20

so 35<20

but this is false

therefore ac<bd is false. end of proof.

Can Someone please tell me if I have done this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know d/k is an integer? Try a few values out for a, b, and c and see how the corresponding d and k correlate. You should see the answer to the problem pretty quickly!

The second counterexample looks good!

scurty said:
How do you know d/k is an integer? Try a few values out for a, b, and c and see how the corresponding d and k correlate. You should see the answer to the problem pretty quickly!

The second counterexample looks good!

So for the first part can I just use examples and then prove it false I guess I can, but I would like to know how to prove it algebraically without having to use real number, since most of the proofs I am doing at the moment involve this.

Ok so

a/c and b/c (given)

let c=3 and a=9 and b=12

so 9=3k for some positive integer k

and 12=3s for some positive integer s

but 12 does not divide 9 and 9 does not divide 12. therefore a/b or b/a is false.

but obviously I can make this statement true ie if k=6 and s=12... Although I guess this in not a "for some" statement... but I really don't like doing proofs this way.

charmedbeauty said:
So for the first part can I just use examples and then prove it false I guess I can, but I would like to know how to prove it algebraically without having to use real number, since most of the proofs I am doing at the moment involve this.

Ok so

a/c and b/c (given)

let c=3 and a=9 and b=12

so 9=3k for some positive integer k

and 12=3s for some positive integer s

but 12 does not divide 9 and 9 does not divide 12. therefore a/b or b/a is false.

but obviously I can make this statement true ie if k=6 and s=12... Although I guess this in not a "for some" statement... but I really don't like doing proofs this way.

Well, if a statement is sfalse, the only way to really prove it is to provide a counterexample.

In your example, 9 and 12 don't both divide 3. You have the definition backwards, a and b will be multiplied by the interger terms.

Related to Is the following statement true or false. prove?

1. Is it possible to prove a statement as true or false?

Yes, it is possible to prove a statement as true or false through the process of scientific research and experimentation. This involves gathering evidence, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

2. What is the difference between a proven true statement and a proven false statement?

A proven true statement is supported by evidence and can be replicated by others, whereas a proven false statement is disproven by evidence and cannot be replicated.

3. How do scientists determine if a statement is true or false?

Scientists use the scientific method to determine the validity of a statement. This involves formulating a hypothesis, designing experiments, collecting data, and analyzing the results to draw a conclusion.

4. Can a statement be proven as true or false without any evidence?

No, a statement cannot be proven as true or false without any evidence. The scientific method requires evidence to support or disprove a statement, and without evidence, it cannot be determined as true or false.

5. Can a statement be proven as true or false with only one experiment?

It is possible for a statement to be proven as true or false with one experiment, but it is not always reliable. Replicating the experiment and obtaining consistent results strengthens the validity of the statement. Additionally, multiple experiments may be needed to account for any potential errors or biases in the initial experiment.