Is the fragmentation of Carbon ions mainly composed of alpha particles?

• Thread starter alangne1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Carbon Ion
In summary, the speaker is analyzing data from 500 MeV/nucleon Iron beam and 290 MeV/nucleon Carbon beam. They noticed that the fragmentation for the Carbon beam mostly consists of alpha particles, rather than the expected Beryllium. They suggest comparing their data with the results from Zeitlin et al., who also studied 290 MeV/n Carbon on 6 different targets and found that the 3 He breakup cross section was not the largest. The speaker is unsure of the experimental setup, but the Zeitlin et al. paper is for inclusive total cross sections.
alangne1
I'm analyzing data taken from 500 MeV/nucleon Iron beam and 290 MeV/nucleon Carbon beam. When looking at the fragmentation that has occured, the fragmentation for the Carbon beam seems almost always be alpha particles (I though I would see some Beryllium as well). Does this mean that the Carbon nucleus is essentially just three alpha particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alangne,

Assuming you are only looking at projectile fragmentation, have you compared your data with that of Zeitlin et al., who also looked at 290 MeV/n Carbon on 6 different targets?
http://prc.aps.org/abstract/PRC/v76/i1/e014911

If you look at the paper, while their analysis was fairly difficult, they were able to compute the different fragmentation cross sections (summed over isotope for a given charge). You will see in that paper that the 3 He breakup cross section is not the largest, though it is large. For instance, the Z=3 cross section was larger. The Z=3 channel happens to include the 2 He production data also, however. This is due to the type of detector they were using. The Z=3 data and the 2 He data completely overlap and are very difficult to untangle.

Again, I am not sure what your experimental setup was so don't know if you are talking exclusive or inclusive reactions here. The Zeitlin et al. paper is for inclusive total cross sections.

Cheers,
Norman

FAQ: Is the fragmentation of Carbon ions mainly composed of alpha particles?

1. What is fragmentation of carbon ion?

Fragmentation of carbon ion refers to the process where a carbon ion, which is a charged carbon atom, breaks into smaller pieces or fragments due to collisions with other particles or interaction with electromagnetic fields.

2. Why is fragmentation of carbon ion important?

Fragmentation of carbon ion plays a crucial role in many scientific fields, such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and medical physics. It helps us understand the properties and behavior of carbon ions and their interactions with other particles, which can be useful in developing new technologies and treatments.

3. How does fragmentation of carbon ion occur?

Fragmentation of carbon ion can occur through various processes, including nuclear reactions, Coulomb interactions, and electromagnetic dissociation. These processes can cause the carbon ion to lose some of its energy and break into smaller fragments.

4. What are the potential applications of fragmentation of carbon ion?

Fragmentation of carbon ion has various potential applications, including in cancer treatment, where it can be used to target and destroy cancer cells. It can also be used in nuclear power production and astrophysics research to study the behavior of matter under extreme conditions.

5. What are the challenges in studying fragmentation of carbon ion?

Studying fragmentation of carbon ion can be challenging due to the complexity of the processes involved and the difficulty in controlling and measuring the interactions between particles. Additionally, the high energies and short lifetimes of carbon ions make it challenging to observe and study their fragmentation in experiments.

Back