Is the Friction Force Determined by a Suspended Mass and Cart Movement?

• Thread starter PhysicsAdvice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Mass
In summary, the problem involves a cart being pulled by a suspended mass of 100g over a distance of 75cm in 2 seconds. The suspended mass is not equal to the tension force applied to the cart, and the mass of the cart is 75g. To solve for the friction force, you must first determine the acceleration using Newton's laws and then use that to find the friction force.
PhysicsAdvice
1. If a cart is being pulled from rest by over 75cm in 2s by a suspended mass of 100g attached to the cart via a rope and pulley, what is the friction of the surface?

2. My question is whether the fapp force is the suspended mass. I know I need
Ff= μFN, Fn= -(fappy+Fg) and to get acceleration I'll need d=vit+0.5at^2, is this correct so far? and is the suspended mass indeed the fapp?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsAdvice said:
1. If a cart is being pulled from rest by over 75cm in 2s by a suspended mass of 100g attached to the cart via a rope and pulley, what is the friction of the surface?

2. My question is whether the fapp force is the suspended mass.
No, the suspended mass is accelerating, so the tension force applied to the cart (and acting on the suspended mass) is not the same as the weight of the suspended mass.
I know I need
Ff= μFN, Fn= -(fappy+Fg) and to get acceleration I'll need d=vit+0.5at^2, is this correct so far? and is the suspended mass indeed the fapp? [/b]
Your problem statement is missing information, such as the mass of the cart. Please present the problem as written.

I apologize, the mass of the cart is 75g, what would the firs step in solving this be?

if M=mass of cart and m=mass of suspended mass, could (M+m)x a + Ff= mxg work? Then solve for a since I have enough and then solve for Ff?

PhysicsAdvice said:
I apologize, the mass of the cart is 75g, what would the firs step in solving this be?

if M=mass of cart and m=mass of suspended mass, could (M+m)x a + Ff= mxg work?
Yes, it will work, but why?? You must draw free body diagrams of each mass and apply Newton's laws.
Then solve for a since I have enough and then solve for Ff?
You've got to determine the acceleration first based on the given information of displacement and time. Then solve for the friction force.

I would first clarify the variables and units used in this scenario. The cart's displacement is given as 75cm in 2 seconds, which can be converted to 0.75m in 2 seconds. The mass of the suspended mass is given as 100g, which can be converted to 0.1kg. The friction coefficient, μ, is a dimensionless constant that depends on the surface and the objects in contact.

1. To determine the friction of the surface, we need to use the equation Ff= μFN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the friction coefficient, and FN is the normal force. In this scenario, the normal force is equal to the sum of the force applied by the suspended mass (fapp) and the force of gravity (Fg). Therefore, we can calculate the friction force by multiplying the coefficient of friction by the sum of the suspended mass force and the force of gravity.

2. The equation for acceleration, d=vit+0.5at^2, is correct. However, the suspended mass is not the same as the applied force (fapp). The suspended mass is the mass that is being pulled by the rope, and it exerts a force on the cart through the rope and pulley system. The applied force, or fapp, is the force that is being applied to the suspended mass, not the other way around. Therefore, the suspended mass is not the same as the applied force and cannot be used interchangeably in the equation for friction force.

Related to Is the Friction Force Determined by a Suspended Mass and Cart Movement?

What is a suspended mass at an angle?

A suspended mass at an angle refers to an object that is hanging or attached to a support structure at an angle, rather than being completely vertical or horizontal.

What causes a suspended mass to be at an angle?

A suspended mass can be at an angle due to the force of gravity pulling down on the object, as well as any other external forces acting on the object such as wind or tension in the supporting structure.

How is the angle of a suspended mass determined?

The angle of a suspended mass is typically determined by measuring the angle between the mass and the supporting structure. This can be done using a protractor or by using a trigonometric function if the length of the supporting structure and the height of the mass are known.

What factors affect the angle of a suspended mass?

The angle of a suspended mass can be affected by the weight of the object, the strength and direction of external forces, the length and stiffness of the supporting structure, and the distance between the attachment point and the center of mass of the object.

How does the angle of a suspended mass affect its stability?

The angle of a suspended mass can affect its stability by changing the center of mass and the distribution of weight. If the angle becomes too steep, the object may become unbalanced and fall. Additionally, the angle can also affect the tension and strain on the supporting structure, which can impact the stability of the entire system.

Back