Is the function f(m, n) = m^2 + n^2 one-to-one?

• Thread starter Cryphonus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the conversation is about determining whether a given function is one-to-one, and the attempt at a solution involves finding a counterexample and understanding the definition of one-to-one. The final conclusion is that the function is not one-to-one because f(m,n) = f(n,m) does not imply m = n.
Cryphonus
Hey;

im kind of stuck with the following question, i would be glad if you can help

Homework Statement

Determine if the function f : Z x Z --> Z defined by f(m, n) = m^2 + n^2 is one-to-one.

Homework Equations

if F(x1) = F(x2) implies x1=x2 then the function is one to one.

The Attempt at a Solution

i did some algebra and ended up with the equation;

(m1-m2)(m1+m2) = (n2-n1)(n2+n1)

i don't know how to disprove the equality from this point

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about f(m,n) and f(n,m)?

they are equal since;

m^2 +n^2 = n^2 + m^2 ?

so does that proves that the function is one-to-one?

how so?

f(m,n) = f(n,m) implies that m=n ? in this case the function should be one-to-one?

or am i missing something?

Yes, you are missing that f(m,n)= f(n,m) does NOT imply m= n.

Having shown that f(m,n)= f(n,m), what can you say about f(3,2) and f(2,3)?

And what does "one to one" mean?

For the function f to be one-to-one, you need to show that f(n,m)=f(n',m') implies n=n' and m=m'.

So, what is the negation of "f is one-to-one"?

oh right, it doesn't implies that m = n;

f(3,2) is equal to f(2,3) but with different values of m and n.

By the way one to one means if whenever f (a) = f (b) then a = b? so that the every element in domain points to a single unique element in range.

Yes, exactly! Now, can you answer the question?

ok since both f(3,2) and f(2,3) points to the same element in the range this function is not one-to-one. We also showed that f(m,n) = f(n,m) does not implies n = m which is basically the same thing.

i think I am right this time? ^^

Thanks a lot

FAQ: Is the function f(m, n) = m^2 + n^2 one-to-one?

1. What is one-to-one correspondence between two variables?

One-to-one correspondence is a relationship between two variables where each value of one variable corresponds to exactly one value of the other variable.

2. How is one-to-one correspondence different from many-to-one correspondence?

In one-to-one correspondence, each value of one variable corresponds to only one value of the other variable. In many-to-one correspondence, one value of the first variable can correspond to multiple values of the second variable.

3. What is the purpose of studying one-to-one correspondence between two variables?

Studying one-to-one correspondence allows us to understand the relationship between two variables and how changes in one variable affect the other. This is important in fields such as mathematics, statistics, and economics.

4. How is one-to-one correspondence represented in a graph?

In a graph, one-to-one correspondence is represented by a straight line passing through the points where each value of one variable corresponds to a unique value of the other variable.

5. Can one-to-one correspondence exist between more than two variables?

Yes, one-to-one correspondence can exist between any number of variables as long as each value of one variable corresponds to a unique value of the other variable(s).