Is the Function h(x) Differentiable at x=0?

In summary: The only question is whether the derivative exists at x= 0. The derivative at x= 0 is h'(0)= lim_{x\rightarrow 0} (h(x)- h(0))/(x- 0)= lim_{x\rightarrow 0} x^2sin(1/x)= 0. The derivative exists at x= 0.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

Define h(x)=x^3sin(1/x) for x[tex]\neq[/tex]0. and h(0)=0. Show h is differentiable everywhere and that h is cont everywhere, but fails to have a derivative at one point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[h(x)-h(0)]/[x-0]=x^2sin(1/x)
h is diff everywhere because the limit exists and we know x[tex]\equiv[/tex]0.
h'(x)=3x^2sin(1/x)-xcos(1/x)
We know f is diff at [tex]x_{0}[/tex], then f must be continuous at [tex]x_{0}[/tex].
h has a derivative at x if x[tex]\neq[/tex]0.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just unsure how to deal with it at x=0

Ok I see my problem. I just don't understand why we can't have h(x) with x=0. Is it because the limit wouldn't exist?

i had a similar problem that i figured out. maybe you can apply it to yours.

Problem: Let f(x)=x^2sin1/x if x does not = 0, and f(0)=0. Find f '(x) and show that the lim as x goes to 0 of f '(x) does not exist.

My answer: f '(x)= 2xsin1/x - cos1/x
Now the lim as x goes to 0 of xsin1/x = 0, but the lim as x goes to 0 of cos1/x DNE. Since the value oscillates between -1 and 1 as x gets smaller.

~Sorry didn't have a chance to look into yours, but knew i had one similar. hope it helps.

kathrynag said:

Homework Statement

Define h(x)=x^3sin(1/x) for x[tex]\neq[/tex]0. and h(0)=0. Show h is differentiable everywhere and that h is cont everywhere, but fails to have a derivative at one point.
Surely you meant "that h' is cont everywhere, but fails to have a derivative at one point."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[h(x)-h(0)]/[x-0]=x^2sin(1/x)
h is diff everywhere because the limit exists and we know x[tex]\equiv[/tex]0.
h'(x)=3x^2sin(1/x)-xcos(1/x)
We know f is diff at [tex]x_{0}[/tex], then f must be continuous at [tex]x_{0}[/tex].
h has a derivative at x if x[tex]\neq[/tex]0.

kathrynag said:
Ok I see my problem. I just don't understand why we can't have h(x) with x=0. Is it because the limit wouldn't exist?
?? h(0) is defined- it is 0. The reason for the requirement that [itex]x\ne 0[/itex] in the first formula is that, of course, 1/x does not exist at x= 0 so x2sin(1/x) does not exist at x= 0.

The graph approaches zero but is undefined at that point there it isn't continuous at that point and shouldn't be differentiable right? I don't know

samdunhamss said:
The graph approaches zero but is undefined at that point there it isn't continuous at that point and shouldn't be differentiable right? I don't know
No, the function is NOT "undefined" at x= 0. f(0)= 0. The function is continuous at 0 because [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x)= \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} x^3sin(1/x)= 0= f(0)[/itex]

FAQ: Is the Function h(x) Differentiable at x=0?

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

When a function is differentiable, it means that it has a well-defined derivative at every point within its domain. This means that the function is smooth and continuous, and its graph has a well-defined tangent line at every point.

2. How do you prove that a function is differentiable?

To prove that a function is differentiable, you need to show that the limit of the difference quotient (the quotient of the change in the function's output over the change in its input) exists as the change in the input approaches zero. This limit is equal to the derivative of the function at that point.

3. Is every continuous function differentiable?

No, not every continuous function is differentiable. A function can be continuous but not have a well-defined derivative at every point, such as those with sharp corners or discontinuities.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a single point?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at a single point. This means that it has a well-defined tangent line at that point, but may not be differentiable at any other points within its domain.

5. What is the relationship between differentiability and continuity?

Differentiability implies continuity, but continuity does not necessarily imply differentiability. A function can be continuous without being differentiable, but if a function is differentiable at a point, it must also be continuous at that point.