Is the given force equation conservative?

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, The given force obeys the force law ## \vec F= (-kx + ax^3 +bx^4)\vec i## and is dependent on distance. This makes it a non-conservative force, as its work and graph vary depending on the value of ##x##. The symbol integral with a circle means that the line integral is taken over a closed path. To find the potential energy function, the line integral of the force field must be taken from a reference point to the current point, with the potential energy becoming zero at the reference point. In one dimension, a force is conservative if there exists a function that satisfies ##\vec{F} = -\frac{d}{dx}\phi(x) \
Calpalned

Homework Statement

A particular spring obeys the force law ## \vec F= (-kx + ax^3 +bx^4)\vec i##. Is this force conservative? Explain why or why not.

Homework Equations

Conservative forces depend on the beginning and endpoints, but not the path taken.

The Attempt at a Solution

The given equation for force clearly depends on ##x##, which is distance. Therefore, this force is non-conservative. Additionally, if ##\vec F## depends on ##x##, then the graph of F vs dl will vary depending on what value of ##x## is plugged in. Work (which is change in energy) will not be constant, so once again force is not conserved. My answer is incorrect, according to my solutions guide. Where did I mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's where you messed up:
Calpalned said:
Conservative forces depend on the beginning and endpoints, but not the path taken.
This is wrong. Conservative forces are forces that their work on a particle in moving it from one point to another, doesn't depend on the path taken and only depends on the two points. This is equivalent to saying that a force is conservative if and only if ## \oint \vec F \cdot \vec{dl}=0 ## for all closed paths. It can be proved that this is equivalent to ## \vec \nabla \times \vec F=0 ##. So the latter equation is a good way of finding out whether a force field is conservative or not.

Shyan said:
Here's where you messed up:

This is wrong. Conservative forces are forces that their work on a particle in moving it from one point to another, doesn't depend on the path taken and only depends on the two points. This is equivalent to saying that a force is conservative if and only if ## \oint \vec F \cdot \vec{dl}=0 ## for all closed paths. It can be proved that this is equivalent to ## \vec \nabla \times \vec F=0 ##. So the latter equation is a good way of finding out whether a force field is conservative or not.
What does the symbol integral with circle mean?

The second part of the question asks me to find the potential energy function, which is the integral of ## \vec F ##. If force is conservative, then the potential energy function is equal to zero right?

Calpalned said:
What does the symbol integral with circle mean?
It means the line integral is taken over a closed path.
Calpalned said:
The second part of the question asks me to find the potential energy function, which is the integral of ##\vec F## . If force is conservative, then the potential energy function is equal to zero right?
No. To obtain the potential energy from the force field, you should use ## \phi(\vec r)=-\int_{\vec{r}_{ref}}^{\vec r} \vec F \cdot \vec{dl} ## where ## \phi(\vec r _{ref}) ## is defined to be zero, i.e. the point where potential becomes zero is arbitrary.

In one dimension (as it is this case) a force ##\vec{F}## is conservative if and only if there is a function ##\phi(x)## such that ##\vec{F} = -\frac{d}{dx}\phi(x) \vec{i}##

In your example the force is a continuous function of the position ##x## so the above is satisfied (i.e. the force is conservative).

FAQ: Is the given force equation conservative?

1. Is force always conserved?

No, force is not always conserved. It depends on the type of force and the system in which it is acting. Some forces, such as gravitational and electromagnetic forces, are considered to be conservative forces and are conserved within a closed system. Other forces, such as friction and air resistance, are non-conservative and can cause a decrease in energy within a system.

2. What is a conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that does not dissipate or lose energy within a closed system. This means that the total energy of the system remains constant over time. Examples of conservative forces include gravity, electric, and magnetic forces.

3. How is a non-conservative force different from a conservative force?

A non-conservative force is a type of force that can dissipate or lose energy within a closed system. This means that the total energy of the system is not constant and can decrease over time. Examples of non-conservative forces include friction, air resistance, and drag.

4. Can a non-conservative force become a conservative force?

No, a non-conservative force cannot become a conservative force. These two types of forces are fundamentally different and cannot be converted into each other. A non-conservative force will always cause a decrease in energy within a system, while a conservative force will always maintain the total energy of the system.

5. How can we determine if a force is conservative or not?

We can determine if a force is conservative or not by looking at its characteristics. A conservative force must satisfy two conditions: 1) the work done by the force must be independent of the path taken, and 2) the work done by the force must be equal to the negative change in potential energy. If these conditions are met, the force is considered to be conservative. If not, it is a non-conservative force.

Back