Is the Jacobian Matrix of This Function Symmetric?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
In summary, "Can You Solve This Week's Problem?" is a weekly challenge where participants are given a problem to solve using their scientific knowledge and skills. To participate, you can visit the website of the presenting publication or organization and submit your solution according to their instructions. The prize for solving the problem may vary and can range from monetary rewards to recognition or opportunities to present at conferences. The difficulty of the problems can vary greatly, from basic scientific knowledge to advanced skills. Collaboration may or may not be allowed, depending on the discretion of the presenting publication or organization.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here's this week's problem!

-----

Problem: Let $J$ denote the Jacobian matrix. Show that if $f$ has continuous second-order partial derivatives and $\mathbf{F}(\mathbf{x}) = (Jf(\mathbf{x}))^T$, then $J\mathbf{F}(\mathbf{x})$ is a symmetric matrix.

-----Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. Due to recent events, I've been pretty swamped with work/GRE prep (taking the exam next Saturday, 10/13); hence, I don't have a solution ready at this time. I'll update this post with one sometime this week.

Related to Is the Jacobian Matrix of This Function Symmetric?

1. What is "Can You Solve This Week's Problem?"

"Can You Solve This Week's Problem?" is a weekly challenge presented by a scientific publication or organization, where participants are given a problem to solve using their scientific knowledge and skills.

2. How can I participate in "Can You Solve This Week's Problem?"

To participate in "Can You Solve This Week's Problem?", you can visit the website of the publication or organization presenting the challenge and follow their instructions for submitting your solution. You can also usually find the problem on their social media pages or through email newsletters.

3. Is there a prize for solving "Can You Solve This Week's Problem?"

The prize for solving "Can You Solve This Week's Problem?" may vary depending on the publication or organization presenting the challenge. Some may offer a monetary prize, while others may offer recognition or the opportunity to present your solution at a conference or event.

4. How difficult are the problems in "Can You Solve This Week's Problem?"

The difficulty of the problems in "Can You Solve This Week's Problem?" can vary greatly. Some may be more straightforward and require basic scientific knowledge, while others may be more complex and require advanced skills and techniques.

5. Can I collaborate with others to solve "Can You Solve This Week's Problem?"

It is usually up to the discretion of the publication or organization presenting the challenge whether collaboration is allowed. Some may allow team submissions, while others may require individual submissions. Make sure to check the rules and guidelines before collaborating with others.