Is the Kernel of a 9x10 Matrix with Rank 5 Four-Dimensional?

In summary, if the rank of a 9x10 matrix A is 5, then the kernel of A is 4-dimensional because the rank and nullity of A must add up to the dimension of the domain, which is 10. This means that the nullity must be 5, leaving 4 dimensions for the kernel. The matrix can also be represented as a linear transformation, with the domain being R^10. It is also valid to calculate the rank and nullity of T, as it is equivalent to calculating the rank and nullity of A.
teddyayalew

Homework Statement

1. True or False: If the rank of a 9x10 matrix A is 5, then the kernel of A is 4-dimensional

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I was explained that it is true because the rank and nullity of A must be 10, but I don't understand why. I understand the dimension theorem that states the sum of the nullity and rank of a transformation must equal the dimension of the domain but how is the matrix represented as a linear transformation. and what would be the domain of this transformation. I was thinking if its a 9x10 matrix T: R^10 to R^9 could a transformation and the matrix representation of T could be A. Then R^10 would be the domain and so the dimension is 10. That is why the nullity must be 5 and not 4. If I am wrong or if there is another way of approaching this problem give me your input.

Also the way i solved the problem i calculated the nullity and rank of T rather then the matrix representation of T which is = A. Is doing it as I did the same, because I feel like I am looking not at the rank and nullity of A.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you did was right, no need to worry about the difference between A and T, they are essentially identical

Last edited:

Related to Is the Kernel of a 9x10 Matrix with Rank 5 Four-Dimensional?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It involves the manipulation and analysis of linear systems and their properties.

2. How is linear algebra used in science?

Linear algebra is used in various fields of science such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and solve problems involving systems of equations, transform data, and analyze patterns and relationships in data sets.

3. What topics are typically covered in a linear algebra exam review?

A linear algebra exam review usually covers topics such as vector operations, matrix operations, linear transformations, systems of linear equations, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and applications of linear algebra.

4. How can I prepare for a linear algebra exam?

To prepare for a linear algebra exam, it is important to review and understand the key concepts, practice solving problems, and work through past exams or practice questions. It is also helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or attend review sessions.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a linear algebra exam?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a linear algebra exam include not understanding the definitions and properties of vector and matrix operations, not following the correct steps in solving problems, and not paying attention to details such as signs and dimensions. It is also important to avoid making computational errors and not showing all of your work.