Is the Kinematic Equation Applicable for Calculating Projectile Motion Speed?

• Thread starter mybrohshi5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of projectile motion in a scenario where firemen are using a high-pressure hose to shoot water at a burning building. The goal is to determine the speed of the water just before it hits the building. The equation V=sqrt(vx2+vy2) is used to solve the problem, but the answer is found to be incorrect. Through further discussion and calculations, it is determined that the equation does work, but there was an error in the initial calculations. The correct answer is found to be 21.4 m/s.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

Firemen are shooting a stream of water at a burning building using a high-pressure hose that shoots out the water with a speed of 27.5 m/s as it leaves the end of the hose. Once it leaves the hose, the water moves in projectile motion. The firemen adjust the angle of elevation Θ of the hose until the water takes 3.00 s to reach a building 51.81 m away. You can ignore air resistance; assume that the end of the hose is at ground level.

How fast is it moving just before it hits the building?

Θ=51.1

Homework Equations

The equation i used to solve it was V=sqrt(vx2+vy2) and the answer was found to be 19.0 m/s

i was wondering if this equation would work to solve it? i can't get it to come out with 19 m/s though.

Vf2= Vyi2+2(ay)(Δy)

The Attempt at a Solution

Vf2= Vyi2+2(ay)(Δy)

so with this equation i used Vyi to be 27.5sin(51.1)=21.01

i used ay to be -9.8

i used Δy to be 27.5sin(51.1)(3) + .5(-9.8)(32) = 20.11 - 0 = 20.11
(the minus 0 is because of the final height minus the initial height).Vf2= Vyi2+2(ay)(Δy)

Vf = 6.87 which is definitely wrong.

Anyone know why this equation doesn't work using these numbers i calculated?

Any suggestions. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mybrohshi5 said:
i was wondering if this equation would work to solve it? i can't get it to come out with 19 m/s though.

Vf2= Vyi2+2(ay)(Δy)
That will find Vyf, not the complete Vf. You still need to add Vx to get the total V.

if i add that to the Vx then that comes out to be 24.14 m/s which is also not the correct answer.

6.87 + 27.5cos(51.1) = 24.14 m/s

mybrohshi5 said:
if i add that to the Vx then that comes out to be 24.14 m/s which is also not the correct answer.

6.87 + 27.5cos(51.1) = 24.14 m/s
These are vector components. When I said 'add' I meant combine them like vectors:
mybrohshi5 said:
V=sqrt(vx2+vy2)

oh i see what you are saying.

well i did that and its still a little under

sqrt(17.27^2 + 6.87^2) = 18.58 :(

i guess this way may just not work.

Thank you for your help and explanations.

mybrohshi5 said:
i guess this way may just not work.
It should work just fine. Check your arithmetic. For example, this calculation is not quite right:
mybrohshi5 said:
so with this equation i used Vyi to be 27.5sin(51.1)=21.01

thank you. with that new number of 21.4 it works out correctly.

thank you for catching that error and all of your time and help :)

FAQ: Is the Kinematic Equation Applicable for Calculating Projectile Motion Speed?

1. Can this formula be used for any type of problem?

No, formulas are specific to certain types of problems. You should always check if the formula applies to your specific problem before using it.

2. How do I know which formula to use for a given problem?

It is important to understand the variables and relationships involved in a problem before deciding which formula to use. You may need to do some research or consult with an expert in the field.

3. Can I modify a formula to fit my problem?

In some cases, you may be able to modify a formula to fit your specific problem. However, this should only be done if you have a strong understanding of the formula and its underlying principles.

4. Is it necessary to use a formula to solve a problem?

No, not all problems require the use of a formula. Some problems may be solved through logical reasoning or other methods.

5. How do I know if I have used the formula correctly?

You can check your work by plugging in the given values and checking if the result matches the expected outcome. If not, you may have made a mistake in your calculations or used the wrong formula.

Back