Is the map from l^infinite to L(l^2,l^2) a bijection?

• Thread starter Funky1981
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, the conversation discusses a map from l^infinite to L(l^2,l^2) and the attempt to prove its bijectivity. The first part of the proof shows that the map is injective, but the second part struggles to show surjectivity. The speaker mentions an unsuccessful attempt to construct a sequence to prove surjectivity.
Funky1981

Homework Statement

Let L(l^2,l^2) be the space of bounded linear operators K:l^2->l^2.

Now I define a map from l^infinite to L(l^2,l^2) as a->Ta(ei) to be Ta(ei)=aiei where ei is the orthonormal basic of l^2 and a=(a1,a2,...) is in l^infinte

I want to prove this map is bijection
can anyone give me some helps??

2. The attempt at a solution
I finished the part of injective but I don.t know how to show it is surjective. I tried to construct a sequence fn s.t. T(fn)=f where f(en)=fn then to show fn is indeed in l^infinite. But I failed to find such sequence

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to find a counterexample.

Related to Is the map from l^infinite to L(l^2,l^2) a bijection?

1. What is isometric isomorphism?

Isometric isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two structures that have the same underlying shape and size, but may differ in orientation or position. In other words, two objects are isometrically isomorphic if they can be transformed into each other through a combination of rotations, translations, and reflections.

2. How is isometric isomorphism different from other types of isomorphism?

Isometric isomorphism is a specific type of isomorphism that focuses on preserving the shape and size of objects, rather than other properties such as angles or distances. This means that two objects can be isometrically isomorphic even if they are not congruent.

3. What are some real-world applications of isometric isomorphism?

Isometric isomorphism has many practical applications, particularly in fields such as computer science, chemistry, and engineering. For example, in computer graphics, isometric isomorphism can be used to create 3D models that accurately represent real-life objects. In chemistry, it can help identify compounds with similar molecular structures. In engineering, it can aid in the design of structures that need to maintain their shape and size under different conditions.

4. How is isometric isomorphism related to symmetry?

Isometric isomorphism is closely related to symmetry, as both concepts involve transformations that preserve the shape and size of objects. However, symmetry typically refers to the repetition or reflection of patterns, while isometric isomorphism focuses on the transformation of entire objects.

5. Can all objects be isometrically isomorphic?

No, not all objects can be isometrically isomorphic. For two objects to be isometrically isomorphic, they must have the same underlying shape and size. Objects with different shapes or sizes cannot be transformed into each other through isometric isomorphism. Additionally, some objects may have the same shape and size, but cannot be transformed into each other through a combination of rotations, translations, and reflections, making them non-isometrically isomorphic.