Is the Mathematical Proof for f(x) = x Valid?

In summary, a complete proof is a logically and rigorously constructed demonstration of the truth of a statement or theorem. It is determined by following necessary logical steps and providing convincing evidence, and incomplete proofs can lead to false conclusions and hinder progress. A proof can also be complete but still contain errors, so careful verification is crucial. In mathematics, a proof is never considered completely and undeniably complete, as new developments can always challenge its validity and lead to revisions and improvements.
baconeater
Hello, think i have proved it but is the proof complete, is there any more i should do?

Homework Statement

Let f:[0,1] --> [0,1], f be continuous, f(0)=0, f(1)=1
and let f(f(x)) = x, for all x in [0,1]

prove that f(x) = x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(*) f(f(x)) = x, for all x in [0,1]
(**) f(0) = 0, f(1) = 1

Assume that f(a) = b>a, then it follows by (*) that f(f(a)) = f(b) = a<b.
Since f is continuous it follows by "Intermediate"- theorem that there exist
a point c where a< c <b such that f(c) = c.

Now we have that f(b) = a < c = f(c), since then there must exist a point d
where b< d <1 such that f(d) = c.
(if b=1 then f(b) = a <1, witch contradicts (**))
But then f(f(d)) = c < b witch is an contradiction!

Assume that f(a) = b < a, then it follows by (*) that f(f(a)) = f(b) = a>b.
a point c where b< c <a such that f(c) = c.

Now we have that f(c) = c < a = f(b), since then there must exist a point d
where 0< d <b such that f(d) = c.

(if b=0 then f(b) = a > b, witch contradicts (**))

But then f(f(d)) = c < a witch is an contradiction!

Physics news on Phys.org
baconeater said:
Hello, think i have proved it but is the proof complete, is there any more i should do?

Homework Statement

Let f:[0,1] --> [0,1], f be continuous, f(0)=0, f(1)=1
and let f(f(x)) = x, for all x in [0,1]

prove that f(x) = x.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(*) f(f(x)) = x, for all x in [0,1]
(**) f(0) = 0, f(1) = 1

Assume that f(a) = b>a, then it follows by (*) that f(f(a)) = f(b) = a<b.
a point c where a< c <b such that f(c) = c.

Now we have that f(b) = a < c = f(c), since then there must exist a point d
where b< d <1 such that f(d) = c.
(if b=1 then f(b) = a <1, witch contradicts (**))
But then f(f(d)) = c < b witch is an contradiction!

Assume that f(a) = b < a, then it follows by (*) that f(f(a)) = f(b) = a>b.
a point c where b< c <a such that f(c) = c.

Now we have that f(c) = c < a = f(b), since then there must exist a point d
where 0< d <b such that f(d) = c.

(if b=0 then f(b) = a > b, witch contradicts (**))

But then f(f(d)) = c < a witch is an contradiction!
There are some issues with the presentation at the start. First you left ##a## undeclared, and at the end of the line (the one that starts with "assume that"), you wrote things down in an order that makes it unnecessarily hard to understand you. These aren't big issues, but I assume that you want feedback on the presentation too, so here's a pedantic version of the start of your proof:

Let ##a\in(0,1)## be arbitrary. We will prove that f(a)=a by deriving a false statement from the assumption that this is not true. So suppose that ##f(a)\neq a##. Then either f(a)>a or f(a)<a. We will only discuss the former case in detail. The other can be treated similarly. So suppose that f(a)>a. Define b=f(a). These statements and (*) imply that b=f(a)>a=f(f(a))=f(b). In particular, we have a<b and f(b)<b.​

After this, you said that the intermediate value theorem implies that there's a real number c such that a<c<b and f(c)=c. You may be right (I don't know, I didn't think it through), but you didn't make a convincing argument. I'd say that what the intermediate value theorem says is that for each ##y\in(a,b)##, there's a ##c\in(a,b)## such that ##f(c)=y##.

Also, note the spelling of the word "which".

Last edited:

Related to Is the Mathematical Proof for f(x) = x Valid?

1. What does it mean for a proof to be complete?

A complete proof is one that has been rigorously and logically constructed to demonstrate the truth of a statement or theorem. It must provide sufficient evidence and reasoning to convince others of its validity.

2. How can one determine if a proof is complete?

A proof is considered complete if it follows all the necessary logical steps and provides convincing evidence for the statement being proven. It should also be able to withstand scrutiny and counterarguments from other mathematicians.

3. What are the consequences of an incomplete proof?

An incomplete proof can lead to false conclusions or incorrect assumptions. It can also hinder progress in a particular field of study if the statement being proven is essential for further developments.

4. Is it possible for a proof to be complete but still be incorrect?

Yes, a proof can be complete but still contain a mistake or error that leads to an incorrect conclusion. This is why it is crucial for mathematicians to carefully check and verify each step of a proof before accepting it as true.

5. Can a proof ever be considered completely and undeniably complete?

In mathematics, a proof is never considered to be completely and undeniably complete. New methods and technologies can always be developed that may challenge or change the validity of a previously accepted proof. Therefore, proofs are continuously revised and improved upon to ensure their accuracy and completeness.