Is the NCAA Holding Back Student-Athletes?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, although I think the NCAA is a bit shady, I think it's wrong for Donald De La Haye to be punished for something he did before he even attended UCF. And I don't think that universities should be primarily funded by sports revenue.
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice provocative title!

Although I like a lot of sports, I think of the NCAA as a greedy organization that collects billions for non-athletes and screws the athletes.

I have mixed feelings about this whole saga. On the one hand, it is beyond dispute that what happened to Donald De La Haye by the NCAA was both ridiculous and unjust -- he was receiving money for his personal YouTube channel which has nothing to do with his performing football for his university!

On the other hand, I come from Canada, where university students do not receive sports scholarship (although Canadian students are eligible to receive sports scholarships to attend US schools), and I am personally opposed to the very notion of students receiving scholarships/grants solely (or primarily) based on athletic ability, as opposed to either academic ability or on financial need. I feel that athletics is a strictly extracurricular activity among students and should be treated as such by the schools -- one implication of which is that I don't think it's inherently troubling or unethical for students to be paid directly for their participation.

StatGuy2000 said:
On the other hand, I come from Canada, where university students do not receive sports scholarship (although Canadian students are eligible to receive sports scholarships to attend US schools), and I am personally opposed to the very notion of students receiving scholarships/grants solely (or primarily) based on athletic ability, as opposed to either academic ability or on financial need. I feel that athletics is a strictly extracurricular activity among students and should be treated as such by the schools -- one implication of which is that I don't think it's inherently troubling or unethical for students to be paid directly for their participation.

Canadian schools offer athletic scholarships - just not to the same extent as south of the border.

And not that I really pay much attention to American university sports, but they're a lot bigger down there than they are in Canada. Schools can rake in huge amounts of money from their major sports teams, hence their athletes are a major source of revenue. The athletes can't be compensated financially, but offering full scholarships is pretty reasonable. And of course, there's a trickle-down effect. The university can use that revenue to give to other students, or invest in its infrastructure and ultimately offer a better educational experience for all of its students.

Choppy said:
And of course, there's a trickle-down effect. The university can use that revenue to give to other students, or invest in its infrastructure and ultimately offer a better educational experience for all of its students.

My understanding of the actual situation in US college athletics is that the money that comes into athletics departments (through tickets and contributions) usually stays in the athletic departments. Sometimes the athletics departments are given additional money by various parts of the university (in about 3 of the 5 universities I have been at).

However, a strong athletic program will get people more interested in contributing money to non-athletic aspects of the university also.
Phil Knight contributing to the U of Oregon could be an example of this.

BillTre said:
Sometimes the athletics departments are given additional money by various parts of the university (in about 3 of the 5 universities I have been at).

In fact, according to an NCAA report a few years ago, only 24 of the 130 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision (the "big boys") of NCAA Division I actually make a "profit" on their athletic programs, that is, those programs generate more than enough revenue to cover their costs. The rest are subsidized by general university funds.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...partments-make-more-they-spend-still-minority

I expect the number of "profitable" programs is much smaller, or even non-existent, at smaller schools: Football Championship Subdivision of Division I; Division II; and Division III. For a description of these divisions, see here:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/who-we-ar...nces-and-history-multidivision-classification

However, a strong athletic program will get people more interested in contributing money to non-athletic aspects of the university also. Phil Knight contributing to the U of Oregon could be an example of this.

Most colleges and universities, even the state schools, and especially the smaller schools, depend on donations from alumni and other "friends" for a significant part of their budget. I would wager that more alumni remember their alma mater fondly (and are therefore inclined to donate to it) for its social aspects (including athletics) than for its physics labs. :rolleyes:

Likes BillTre
Choppy said:
Canadian schools offer athletic scholarships - just not to the same extent as south of the border.

Canadian schools offer athletic scholarships? Really?? :confused: I have never heard of any schools in Canada offering athletic scholarships before.

Choppy said:
Schools can rake in huge amounts of money from their major sports teams, hence their athletes are a major source of revenue. The athletes can't be compensated financially, but offering full scholarships is pretty reasonable.

According to the stats in this article, full scholarships are of limited value. Plus, according to my understanding, athletes are generally forbidden from receiving anything other than the scholarship. If someone were to buy an athlete dinner or give him or her money for food, that would be a violation of the NCAA's rules.

Choppy said:
I had the good fortune o0) of living with a few student athletes as an undergrad.

Some examples of financial support offered at Canadian schools:
University of Alberta Golden Bears and Pandas
University of Calgary Dinos
McMaster Marauders
McGill Redmen
University of Toronto Varsity Blues
UBC Thunderbirds

I saw that my alma mater (University of Toronto) do offer something akin to an athletic scholarship, but still place a major emphasis on academic achievement (for example, students still need an entering average of 80% or greater, and a GPA while in school of 2.50 or greater.

FAQ: Is the NCAA Holding Back Student-Athletes?

What is the NCAA and why does it need to change?

The NCAA, or National Collegiate Athletic Association, is a non-profit organization that oversees the athletic programs of over 1,200 colleges and universities in the United States. It has been under scrutiny in recent years for its handling of issues such as student-athlete compensation, academic standards, and athlete safety.

What are some specific changes that people are calling for in regards to the NCAA?

Some of the changes that people are calling for include allowing student-athletes to profit off of their name, image, and likeness, implementing stricter academic standards, and providing better healthcare and support for athletes.

How would allowing student-athletes to profit off of their name, image, and likeness affect the NCAA?

Allowing student-athletes to profit off of their name, image, and likeness would bring in a significant amount of revenue for the NCAA. It would also level the playing field for athletes who come from lower-income backgrounds and do not have the same opportunities to profit from their talents as their wealthier counterparts.

What are the arguments against making these changes to the NCAA?

Some argue that allowing student-athletes to profit off of their name, image, and likeness would blur the line between amateur and professional sports. Others believe that implementing stricter academic standards could harm smaller schools and their athletic programs.

What steps are being taken to bring about change in the NCAA?

Several states have already passed legislation to allow student-athletes to profit off of their name, image, and likeness, and there is currently a federal bill being considered that would do the same. Additionally, there have been ongoing discussions and debates within the NCAA about potential changes to their policies and regulations.