Is the Normal Force Correct in Your Friction Work Calculation?

In summary, a block weighing 19.1 kg is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface by a constant force of 195 N at an angle of 29.1 degrees above the horizontal. The block is displaced 30.3 m and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.116. The question asks for the magnitude of work done by the force of friction, which can be calculated by finding the net normal force on the surface and using the coefficient of friction and distance to determine the work done by friction. However, it is important to note that the normal force is not equal to the weight of the block, as the applied force changes the normal force. The correct normal force can be found by applying the equilibrium condition.
the_d
A 19.1 kg block is dragged over a rough, hor-
izontal surface by a constant force of 195 N
acting at an angle of angle 29.1 degrees above the
horizontal. The block is displaced 30.3 m,
and the coeficient of kinetic friction is 0.116.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 .

the question ask for he magnitude of work done by the force of friction.

I found the force of friction to be 21.71 N and but the answer I'm getting for Work of frictional force is wrong. i don't know what's the matter, am i reading the problem wrong or sumtin? Work of Frictional force = Ffr(x)(cos180) i used 30.3 for x like the problem gave.

Physics news on Phys.org
the_d said:

I found the force of friction to be 21.71 N and but the answer I'm getting for Work of frictional force is wrong. i don't know what's the matter, am i reading the problem wrong or sumtin? Work of Frictional force = Ffr(x)(cos180) i used 30.3 for x like the problem gave.
{Work by Friction} = {Friction Force}*{Distance} =
= {Net Normal Force on Surface}*{Coeff of Friction}*{Distance}
= {(Block Weight) - (Normal Component Pulling Force)}*{Coeff of Friction}*{Distance} =
= {(19.1 kg)*(9.8 m/sec^2) - (195 N)*sin(29.1 deg)}*(0.116)*(30.3 m) =
= (324.6 J)

~~

Last edited:
so?

the_d said:

if the block weighs 19.1 kg and the force is not parallel to the horizontal surface, what are all of the forces acting on the block? vertical components of gravity, the block's mass, and the "pulling force", and the horizontal components of the frictional force from the surface and the "pulling force", have to balance, right? if not, the block will be accelerating.

one way or the other, if w=f*d, the frictional force times the 30.3m should equal the total work done by the frictional force. do you have the "right answer" supplied to you?

the_d said:
I found the force of friction to be 21.71 N ...
You got this answer by assuming that the normal force equals the weight. Not true, since the applied force changes the normal force. Instead, solve for the normal force by applying the equilibrium condition:
[itex]\Sigma F_y = 0[/itex]
[itex]F_n - mg + F_{applied}sin\theta = 0[/itex]
Once you solve for [itex]F_n[/itex], the friction will be [itex]\mu F_n[/itex].

FAQ: Is the Normal Force Correct in Your Friction Work Calculation?

1. What is the formula for calculating the force of friction in a work problem?

The formula for calculating the force of friction in a work problem is Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How do you determine the coefficient of friction in a work problem?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. This can be done by using a spring scale to measure the force of friction and a scale to measure the normal force.

3. What are the units for the force of friction in a work problem?

The units for the force of friction depend on the units used for the normal force and the coefficient of friction. However, the most common units are Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

4. How does the angle of incline affect the force of friction in a work problem?

The angle of incline can affect the force of friction by changing the normal force. A steeper incline will result in a larger normal force, which in turn will result in a larger force of friction. This can be taken into account by using the formula Ff = μNsinθ, where θ is the angle of incline.

5. Can the force of friction ever be greater than the applied force in a work problem?

Yes, the force of friction can be greater than the applied force in a work problem. This occurs when the coefficient of friction is high and the normal force is also high, resulting in a larger force of friction than the applied force. In this case, the object will not be able to move unless the applied force is increased.

Back