Is the Offset Fed Satellite Dish on the Police Station Safe?

In summary, the dish antenna is a horizontal antenna aimed at a satellite. It is a reflector or director.
phys86
Hello everyone,
for health reason, I just need to know from you what kind of antenna is the one in the photo attached, if it is a receiver or a transmitter and if it is safe enough.

I will have to move on the first floor of a house right under that building (which is a police station if it can be useful to know) and I am a bit concerned. Many thanks.

Attachments

• antenna.png
    antenna.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 517
Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:
Those appear to be VHF radio antennas of the type used by fire, police, pilots and taxi drivers.

I never heard of a health hazard associated with VHF radio antennas. I would not worry.

And on the first floor of the building below the antennas, you are out of the transmit antenna pattern anyway. There is very little RF energy below vertical antennas like that. :smile:

Thanks to both of you, so I guess I shouldn't worry.

Likes berkeman
Just in case, this is an other view, with the house and the police station with the antenna.

Attachments

• view.png
    view.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 476
phys86 said:
Just in case, this is an other view, with the house and the police station with the antenna.
You are still well below the main Tx pattern, and are pretty far away. I wouldn't worry about it.

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
You are still well below the main Tx pattern, and are pretty far away. I wouldn't worry about it.
That's good to know, thanks again.

What is the dish antenna, aimed horizontally, in the planter at the front of the house? Not many satellites viewable in that direction!

Tom.G said:
What is the dish antenna, aimed horizontally, in the planter at the front of the house? Not many satellites viewable in that direction!
Looks like a hummingbird director. Or reflector, it's hard to tell.

Or staging for the rubbish collectors. Maybe he didn't pay his bill...

Tom.G said:

you may not be familiar with offset feeds ?

berkeman said:
Looks like a hummingbird director. Or reflector, it's hard to tell.

It's an offset fed satellite dish. The beam direction with the current mount would be up over that blue wall

dish.JPG

if you notice, the arm out to the feed point is near horizontal (maybe a few deg above the horiz.), this means the beam angle will be a good few degrees above the horizontal

in this pic is yours truly repurposing an offset fed sat dish for use on the 10GHz ham band
NOTE the angle of the feed boom … it is angled down from the horizontal and as a result the radiated signal is beaming out at a horizontal angle

091002-IMG_2226 Dave and Paul at La Perousesm.jpg

Dave

Attachments

• dish.JPG
    dish.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 409
  • 091002-IMG_2226 Dave and Paul at La Perousesm.jpg
    091002-IMG_2226 Dave and Paul at La Perousesm.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Likes TechTree, dlgoff, Tom.G and 1 other person

FAQ: Is the Offset Fed Satellite Dish on the Police Station Safe?

What type of antenna is this?

Determining the type of antenna can be difficult, but here are some common questions and answers to help you identify your antenna.

1. How many elements does this antenna have?

The number of elements on an antenna is a key factor in determining its type. Count the number of rods or dipoles on your antenna to get an idea of its configuration.

2. Is this a directional or omnidirectional antenna?

Directional antennas are designed to focus the signal in a specific direction, while omnidirectional antennas radiate signal in all directions. Look at the shape and placement of the elements to determine if your antenna is directional or omnidirectional.

3. What frequency range does this antenna cover?

Different antennas are designed to operate within specific frequency ranges. Check the specifications of your antenna to determine its frequency range and make sure it is compatible with your desired signals.

4. Does this antenna have gain?

Antenna gain is a measure of its ability to focus and amplify a signal. Higher gain antennas can improve signal strength, but they are also more directional. Look for a gain value in the specifications of your antenna to determine its capabilities.

5. What is the polarization of this antenna?

Polarization refers to the orientation of the electromagnetic waves produced by an antenna. Common types of polarization include vertical, horizontal, and circular. Check the specifications or observe the orientation of your antenna to determine its polarization.