Is the Operator D² + 2D + I Invertible on Polynomial Spaces?

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary: The rank-nullity theorem states that if a linear map is injective, then it is also null. That is, for every polynomial p in P, there exists a unique polynomial q such that p = q. So, since L is injective, L(P) = P.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let P be the vector space of one variable polynomials with complex coefficients. if D: P-->P is the derivative mapping, show that the linear mapping D^2+2D+I is invertible.

Homework Equations

show that D^2+2D+I is both injective and surjective

The Attempt at a Solution

Showing injectivity: assume D^2+2D+I(u)=D^2+2D+I(v), we want to show that this implies that u=v.

D^2+2D+I(u)=D^2+2D+I(v)
(D+I)^2(u) = (D+I)^2(v)
(D+I)(D+I)(u) = (D+I)(D+I)(v)

Since D and I are both given as linear mappings, we know D+I is linear, so (D+I)(D+I)(u) = (D+I)(u)(D+I)(u) = (D+I)(v)(D+I)(v)

And now I'm kind of lost... Am I on the right track with showing injectivity?

edit: Maybe I would have better luck with showing injectivity by showing that the Ker(D^2+2D+I) = {0}? Would this involve solving an ODE? Ahh somebody help me I'm so confused ;-(.

Surjective: We want to show that if u is an element of P, then there exists a v in P such that (D^2+2D+I)(v) = u. I have no idea how to show this one. Anyone got any tips to offer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
edit: Maybe I would have better luck with showing injectivity by showing that the Ker(D^2+2D+I) = {0}? Would this involve solving an ODE?
That looks like a good idea indeed.

If you don't yet know the general solutions for this kind of ODE, just check what it means for a non-zero polynomial u to satisfy (D^2+2D+I)u=0.

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Let P be the vector space of one variable polynomials with complex coefficients. if D: P-->P is the derivative mapping, show that the linear mapping D^2+2D+I is invertible.

Homework Equations

Showing injectivity: assume D^2+2D+I(u)=D^2+2D+I(v), we want to show that this implies that u=v.
Another way to say this is:
Assume u'' + 2u' + u = v'' + 2v' + v
Or equivalently, (u'' - v'') + 2(u' - v') + (u - v) = 0

A simple substitution yields w'' + 2w' + w = 0, which is pretty easy to solve.
PsychonautQQ said:
D^2+2D+I(u)=D^2+2D+I(v)
(D+I)^2(u) = (D+I)^2(v)

Since D and I are both given as linear mappings, we know D+I is linear, so (D+I)(D+I)(u) = (D+I)(u)(D+I)(u) = (D+I)(v)(D+I)(v)

edit: Maybe I would have better luck with showing injectivity by showing that the Ker(D^2+2D+I) = {0}? Would this involve solving an ODE? Ahh somebody help me I'm so confused ;-(.

Surjective: We want to show that if u is an element of P, then there exists a v in P such that (D^2+2D+I)(v) = u. I have no idea how to show this one. Anyone got any tips to offer?

If you show that a map ##f## is bijective, then ##f\circ f## is also bijective, and ##(f\circ f)^{-1} = f^{-1} \circ f^{-1}##.
Also, remember that linear maps between two vector spaces of same dimension (finite) are bijective iff they are injective iff they are surjective. Therefore it is enough to show injectivity or surjectivity, no need to bother showing both.

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

D^2+2D+I(u)=D^2+2D+I(v)
(D+I)^2(u) = (D+I)^2(v)

edit: Maybe I would have better luck with showing injectivity by showing that the Ker(D^2+2D+I) = {0}?

Would this involve solving an ODE?

Yes: the kernel of the operator consists of those *polynomials* which solve [itex]y'' + 2y' + y = 0[/itex].

Define [itex]L(f) = (D^2 + 2D + I)(f)[/itex] to save writing.

Let [itex]P_n[/itex] be the finite-dimensional subspace of polynomials of order exactly [itex]n[/itex]. Observe that [itex]L(P_n) \subset P_n[/itex] and [itex]L[/itex] is injective. Apply the rank-nullity theorem. Explain why [itex]L(P) = P[/itex] follows.

Last edited:

Related to Is the Operator D² + 2D + I Invertible on Polynomial Spaces?

1. What is mapping?

Mapping refers to the process of transforming or associating elements from one set to another set. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and physics.

2. What does it mean for a mapping to be invertible?

A mapping is invertible if it has a unique inverse, which means that for every element in the output set, there is exactly one corresponding element in the input set. In other words, the mapping can be reversed to get back the original elements.

3. How do you prove that a mapping is invertible?

To prove that a mapping is invertible, you need to show that it is both one-to-one (injective) and onto (surjective). This means that every element in the output set has a unique preimage in the input set, and that every element in the input set has at least one corresponding element in the output set.

4. Why is it important to prove that a mapping is invertible?

Proving that a mapping is invertible is important because it ensures that the mapping can be easily reversed and that the original elements can be retrieved. This is especially useful in applications such as encryption and compression, where the original data needs to be retrieved from the transformed data.

5. Can all mappings be proven to be invertible?

No, not all mappings are invertible. In order for a mapping to be invertible, it must be both one-to-one and onto. If a mapping is not one-to-one, then there will be multiple elements in the input set that map to the same element in the output set, making it impossible to retrieve the original elements. Similarly, if a mapping is not onto, there will be elements in the output set that do not have a corresponding preimage in the input set, making it impossible to reverse the mapping.