Is the PMNS Matrix Unitary? Exploring Neutrino Eigenstates

In summary, the PMNS matrix used to go between mass eigenstates and flavour eigenstates of neutrinos is unitary because it is a transformation from one orthonormal basis to another. This is necessary for the kinetic terms in the Lagrangian to remain unchanged. If other neutrinos are included, the larger matrix describing the full mixing may not be unitary.
McLaren Rulez
Hi,

Okay, I thought I had created this thread but looks like I didn't hit submit or something. Anyway, my question is, why is the PMNS matrix which is used to go between the mass eigenstates and flavour eigenstates of neutrinos unitary? Is it an assumption (if so, what is the motivation behind it) and if not, how can it be proved?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there are only three neutrino states that mix, the mixing matrix must be a 3x3 unitary matrix, as anything else would change the form of the kinetic terms in the Lagrangian. If, however, other (presumably sterile) neutrinos mix in, the 3x3 matrix will not be unitary; but, the larger matrix that describes the full mixing will be.

Because it's a transformation from one orthonormal basis to another, which is always unitary.

Bill_K said:
Because it's a transformation from one orthonormal basis to another, which is always unitary.

Thank you! That makes sense. Parlyne, I am unfamiliar with the kinetic lagrangian; nevertheless, thank you for replying.

Related to Is the PMNS Matrix Unitary? Exploring Neutrino Eigenstates

What is unitarity of the PMNS matrix?

Unitarity of the PMNS matrix refers to the property of the matrix that describes the mixing of different types of neutrinos (electron, muon, and tau) in the Standard Model of particle physics. It states that the sum of the squared magnitudes of each column (or row) of the matrix must equal 1.

Why is unitarity of the PMNS matrix important?

Unitarity of the PMNS matrix is important because it ensures the conservation of probability in neutrino oscillation experiments. This means that the total probability of finding a certain type of neutrino does not change over time, even as they mix with each other.

How is unitarity of the PMNS matrix tested?

Unitarity of the PMNS matrix is tested through experiments that measure the mixing of neutrinos, such as neutrino oscillation experiments. The results of these experiments are compared to the predictions of the PMNS matrix, and any discrepancies could indicate a violation of unitarity.

What are the consequences of a violation of unitarity of the PMNS matrix?

If unitarity of the PMNS matrix is violated, it would indicate the existence of new physics beyond the Standard Model. This could lead to a better understanding of the properties of neutrinos and their role in the universe.

Can unitarity of the PMNS matrix be violated?

Currently, there is no evidence of a violation of unitarity in the PMNS matrix. However, some theories beyond the Standard Model, such as Grand Unified Theories, predict the possibility of a violation. Ongoing experiments continue to test the unitarity of the PMNS matrix to look for any potential deviations.

Back