Is the Pressure Vessel Design for a Railway Cistern Appropriate?

In summary, the problem involves designing a cylindrical railway cistern to hold 120,000 kg of liquid. The cistern is 18 m long and 3 m in diameter, made of steel with a yield strength of 240MPa and a safety factor of 1.9. The shell thickness is 32mm with a total corrosion allowance of 3.0mm and a welded joint efficiency of 0.85. The question is whether this thickness is sufficient to withstand the combined action of internal pressure, weight of liquid, and external forces such as deceleration and inclination angle. There are three design cases to consider and the coefficient of friction may need to be determined experimentally.
lak91
Design a railway cistern for 120,000 kg of Liquid. It has to be a cylindrical shell on two supports.

The cistern is
18 m long
3 m in diameter (inner).
It is made of steel with the yield strength of SY= 240MPa.
Safety factor of FY= 1.9;
Total corrosion allowance, c= 3.0 mm;
Welded joint efficiency = 0.85
Shell thickness, t - 32mm

Check whether this thickness is sufficient to withstand combined action of the internal pressure, t
he weight of liquid, and the action of longitudinal external forces (tensile or compressive) .
Assume the mass of the train as m= 12 x 10^6kg, deceleration during braking of a = 3m/sec
, and during climbing uphill assume the inclination angle of 10 degrees

I assume there will be 3 design cases for this problem:
Case 1 Internal Pressure+ Weight of Liquid
Case 2Internal Pressure+ Weight of Liquid + Inertia during breaking of the railway cistern
Case 3 Forces acting on the pressure vessel: Internal Pressure + Weight of liquid+ inertia of breaking + inclination angle (locomotive applied to the first cistern in the train)

Wondering if I am going about this correctly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see any problem with your method of reasoning, but my question is why a railway cistern needs to be pressurized. AFAIK, a cistern just a big container to hold water or some other liquid, isn't it?

Likes 1 person
So for each case I work out the total longitudinal stress?

For case three I am unsure if I am going about it correctly:

Determine mgsinx and Ff(friction).
mgsinx pushes block down the incline and Ff(friction) opposes this.

Write the equation
Fnet = mgsinx - FfSince Ff=uFn and we know Fn=mgcosx and we also know Fnet=ma, we write

ma = mgsinx- u(mgcosx)

Divide by m throughout, so we don't need mass a=gsinx - ugcosx

How would I work out u ?

I think in your equations, "u" is really mu, the coefficient of friction. You should just look it up or experimentally determine it.

timthereaper said:
I don't see any problem with your method of reasoning, but my question is why a railway cistern needs to be pressurized. AFAIK, a cistern just a big container to hold water or some other liquid, isn't it?

The liquid exerts a hydrostatic pressure on ALL the surface of the container. That is different from a truck containing a solid. For example a liquid would exert a force on the ends of the cylinder when the train was horizontal, but a solid would not.

Related to Is the Pressure Vessel Design for a Railway Cistern Appropriate?

1. What is a pressure vessel and what is its purpose?

A pressure vessel is a container designed to hold fluids or gases at a significantly higher or lower pressure than the surrounding environment. Its purpose is to safely contain and transport these substances for various industrial processes.

2. How are pressure vessels designed and what factors are considered?

Pressure vessels are designed using engineering principles and codes to ensure structural integrity and safety. Factors such as pressure, temperature, material strength, corrosion resistance, and intended use are considered in the design process.

3. What are the common types of pressure vessels?

The four most common types of pressure vessels are:

• Storage vessels: used to store fluids or gases under pressure
  • Process vessels: used to hold substances during a chemical or physical reaction
  • Heat exchangers: used to transfer heat between two fluids
  • Reactors: used to contain and control reactions between substances

4. How is the safety of pressure vessels ensured?

The safety of pressure vessels is ensured through regular inspections and maintenance, adherence to design codes and standards, and proper operation and handling. Non-destructive testing methods may also be used to detect any potential flaws or weaknesses in the vessel.

5. What are the consequences of a pressure vessel failure?

A pressure vessel failure can have serious consequences including explosions, fires, and release of hazardous substances. This can result in injuries, property damage, and environmental pollution. It is important to follow proper design, construction, and maintenance practices to prevent such failures.