Is the Product of a Null Sequence and a Bounded Sequence Always Null?

In summary, if (a_n) is a null sequence and (b_n) is a bounded sequence, then the sequence (a_nb_n) also converges to 0. This can be proven by showing that for any given positive value ε, there exists an N such that for n>N, |a_nb_n|<ε. This is because if |b_n| is bounded by some real number H, then for n>N, |a_n|<ε/H, and thus |a_nb_n|<ε.
phospho
Prove that if (a_n) is a null sequence and (b_n) is a bounded sequence then the sequence (a_nb_n) is null:

from definitions if b_n is bounded then ## \exists H \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. ## |b_n| \leq H ## if a_n is a null sequence it converges to 0 (from my book), i.e. given ## \epsilon ' > 0 ## ## \exists N \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. n>N ## \Rightarrow |a_n| < \epsilon ' ## set ## e' = \dfrac{\epsilon}{|H|} ## then for ## n > N \Rightarrow |a_nb_n | < \epsilon ' |H| = \epsilon ## i.e. a_nb_n also converges to 0.

I'm slightly worried about this, if H is negative, then can we just multiply ## |a_n| ## and ## |b_n| ## as afaik from the axioms if ## a>0 ## ## x>y## then ## xa>ya ## and I'm not sure if H is negative or if |a_n| is negative if we can simply just multiply the two inequalities. Any help, explaining this, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:
Prove that if (a_n) is a null sequence and (b_n) is a bounded sequence then the sequence (a_nb_n) is null:

from definitions if b_n is bounded then ## \exists H \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. ## |b_n| \leq H ## if a_n is a null sequence it converges to 0 (from my book), i.e. given ## \epsilon ' > 0 ## ## \exists N \in \mathbb{R} ## s.t. n>N ## \Rightarrow |a_n| < \epsilon ' ## set ## e' = \dfrac{\epsilon}{|H|} ## then for ## n > N \Rightarrow |a_nb_n | < \epsilon ' |H| = \epsilon ## i.e. a_nb_n also converges to 0.

I'm slightly worried about this, if H is negative, then can we just multiply ## |a_n| ## and ## |b_n| ## as afaik from the axioms if ## a>0 ## ## x>y## then ## xa>ya ## and I'm not sure if H is negative or if |a_n| is negative if we can simply just multiply the two inequalities. Any help, explaining this, thanks.

How can ##|a_n|## be negative?

phospho said:

Since your proof is correct, I think I can get away with showing you how to write it up a bit nicer:

Since ##\{b_n\}## is bounded there is ##H \in \mathbb{R} ## such that ##|b_n|\le H## for all natural numbers ##n##. Suppose ##\epsilon > 0##. Since ##a_n\to 0## there exists ##N\in \mathbb R## such that if ##n>N## we have ##|a_n| < \frac \epsilon H##. Now if ##n>N## then we have ##|a_nb_n-0| = |a_n||b_n| < \frac \epsilon H\cdot H =\epsilon##. Hence ##a_nb_n\to 0##.

LCKurtz said:
How can ##|a_n|## be negative?

ok ##|a_n| < \epsilon ## this is the distance from a_n to 0 which is less than epsilon so I guess it can't be negative. But what if ## |b_n| \leq H ## and H is negative? take e.g. ## |b_n| \leq -1 ## then ## 1 \leq b_n \leq -1 ##

phospho said:
take e.g. ## |b_n| \leq -1 ## then ## 1 \leq b_n \leq -1 ##

Doesn't ##1\le -1## bother you? Or ##|b_n|\le -1##?

LCKurtz said:
Doesn't ##1\le -1## bother you? Or ##|b_n|\le -1##?

ha - yeah, thanks.

Also thanks for writing up a more concise proof!

Related to Is the Product of a Null Sequence and a Bounded Sequence Always Null?

1. What is a short proof of sequences?

A short proof of sequences is a method used in mathematics and computer science to prove the convergence or divergence of a sequence. It involves using mathematical principles and logic to show that a sequence follows a specific pattern or behavior.

2. How does a short proof of sequences differ from a regular proof?

A short proof of sequences is specifically focused on proving the convergence or divergence of a sequence, while a regular proof can be used to prove a variety of mathematical statements or theorems. Additionally, a short proof of sequences often utilizes specific techniques and formulas related to sequences.

3. What are some commonly used techniques in a short proof of sequences?

Some commonly used techniques in a short proof of sequences include the comparison test, the ratio test, and the root test. These techniques involve comparing the given sequence to a known sequence or series to determine its behavior.

4. Can a short proof of sequences be used for all types of sequences?

No, a short proof of sequences is typically used for infinite sequences that have a specific pattern or behavior. It may not be applicable to finite sequences or sequences with irregular patterns.

5. Why is a short proof of sequences important in mathematics and computer science?

A short proof of sequences allows for a quick and efficient way to prove the convergence or divergence of a sequence. This is important in many areas of mathematics and computer science, such as in the analysis of algorithms and in determining the behavior of infinite series.