Is the Product of Expectation Values Always True in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the equation \langle\psi|AB|\psi\rangle=\langle\psi | A|\psi\rangle\langle\psi |B|\psi\rangle holds true in quantum mechanics if the state vector |\psi\rangle is a normalized eigenstate of both operators A and B. This equation also implies that when the two operators are uncorrelated, the mean value of their product is equal to the product of their mean values. However, in general, assuming that the operators commute and are Hermitian does not guarantee this equation for arbitrary states.
daudaudaudau
In quantum mechanics, when is this true
[tex]
\langle\psi|AB|\psi\rangle=\langle\psi | A|\psi\rangle\langle\psi |B|\psi\rangle
[/tex]
? In probability theory, when the two variables are independent, the mean value of the product is the product of the mean values. What about QM?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is true if [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] is a normalized eigenstate of both A and B because then
[tex]
\langle \psi|AB| \psi\rangle=a_\psi b_\psi
[/tex]

The equation
[tex]
\langle \psi|AB|\psi\rangle = \langle \psi|A|\psi\rangle \langle \psi|B|\psi\rangle \ \forall \psi
[/tex]
also leads to [A,B]=0. But assuming that [A,B]=0 and that both are usual Hermitian observables does not seem to imply the above equation for general states, even though any state can be expanded as a linear combination of common eigenstates: this would require
[tex]
\sum_i a_ib_i|c_i|^2 = \sum_{i,j} a_i b_j |c_i|^2 |c_j|^2
[/tex]
for
[tex]
|\psi\rangle = \sum_i c_i |\psi_i \rangle.
[/tex]
So I don't have an answer to your question but I wrote anyway :) But
[tex]
\langle AB \rangle = \langle A \rangle \langle B \rangle
[/tex]
of course means that in the particular configuration, the operators are uncorrelated and there is e.g. no Heisenberg uncertainty in measuring both observables "simultaneously".

Yeah, it is not enough for the operators to commute, because A commutes with A, but
[tex]
\langle\psi|A^2|\psi\rangle\neq\langle\psi | A|\psi\rangle\langle\psi |A|\psi\rangle
[/tex]

Related to Is the Product of Expectation Values Always True in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is the definition of "Product of expectation values"?

The product of expectation values refers to the mathematical operation of multiplying the expectation values of two or more random variables. In other words, it is the expected value of the product of two or more random variables.

2. How is the product of expectation values calculated?

The product of expectation values is calculated by multiplying the expectation values of each individual variable. This can be represented mathematically as E[XY] = E[X] * E[Y].

3. What is the significance of the product of expectation values?

The product of expectation values is commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the expected value of a combination of random variables. It is also used in various mathematical models and equations to predict outcomes and make informed decisions.

4. Can the product of expectation values be negative?

Yes, the product of expectation values can be negative. This can occur when one or more of the individual expectation values are negative, resulting in a negative product value.

5. Are there any limitations to using the product of expectation values?

One limitation of using the product of expectation values is that it assumes the variables are independent of each other. If the variables are dependent, then the product of expectation values may not accurately represent the true expected value.