Is the Proof for Normalization in Quantum Mechanics Valid?

In summary, Griffiths describes how to find the wave function for a particle in a time-dependent state by using the product rule of differentiation. He shows that if the wave function is time-dependent, the wave function will stay normalized for all future time. There is a step in the proof that he seems to intuitively understand, but it may be invalid as it would violate the product rule of differentiation.
Kyle.Nemeth

Homework Statement

In Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics textbook, he shows that for any wave function that is time-dependent (which implies that the state of any particle evolves with time), the wave function will stay normalized for all future time. There is a step in the proof that I seem to intuitively understand, but seems like it may be invalid as it would violate the product rule of differentiation.

2. Homework Equations

Here is what he does in the book,

[tex] \frac {\imath\hbar}{2m}(\Psi^*\frac {\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2}-\frac {\partial^2\Psi^*}{\partial x^2}\Psi)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\frac {\imath\hbar}{2m}(\Psi^*\frac {\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\frac {\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}\Psi)][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the partial derivatives are operators, it doesn't make sense to me to have them factored out and sort of "skipping over" the psi* function (well, I mean the partial derivative that's being factored out of that first time with the psi* in it). Is it that the psi* and the derivative being multiplied to it are commutative, so that it might make more sense to factor out a partial derivative after switching their order?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyle.Nemeth said:
Here is what he does in the book,

[tex] \frac {\imath\hbar}{2m}(\Psi^*\frac {\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2}-\frac {\partial^2\Psi^*}{\partial x^2}\Psi)=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\frac {\imath\hbar}{2m}(\Psi^*\frac {\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\frac {\partial\Psi^*}{\partial x}\Psi)][/tex]

Those two expressions are clearly equal. Simply differentiate the RHS.

Kyle.Nemeth said:
Since the partial derivatives are operators, it doesn't make sense to me to have them factored out and sort of "skipping over" the psi* function (well, I mean the partial derivative that's being factored out of that first time with the psi* in it). Is it that the psi* and the derivative being multiplied to it are commutative, so that it might make more sense to factor out a partial derivative after switching their order?
Your error is in assuming that Griffiths factored the partial derivative out. You're right that you can't do that, but that's not what he's doing. If you differentiate the righthand side, applying the product rule as necessary, you'll see you get the result on the lefthand side.

Likes Kyle.Nemeth
Ahhhhh, I understand exactly. Thank you guys for the help :smile:

Whoops, I have just one more question actually just to clear things up. Am I allowed to do something like this,

[tex] \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 \psi^*}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\psi]\frac{\partial^2 \psi^*}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\psi^*] \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\psi\frac{\partial^2 \psi^*}{\partial x^2}+\psi^* \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}][/tex]

and say that I had factored out a derivative?

Kyle.Nemeth said:
Whoops, I have just one more question actually just to clear things up. Am I allowed to do something like this,

[tex] \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\frac{\partial^2 \psi^*}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\psi]\frac{\partial^2 \psi^*}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\psi^*] \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[\psi\frac{\partial^2 \psi^*}{\partial x^2}+\psi^* \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}][/tex]

and say that I had factored out a derivative?

You're allowed to do it, in the sense that no one can stop you, but it would be entirely wrong. You seem to have got confused about the derivative being an operator and forgotten how it works.

Well, thank you for portraying to me that I am incorrect in my thinking, as I was clearly under the wrong assumption that what I did was mathematically valid. Would you mind explaining why what I have done is incorrect?

Kyle.Nemeth said:
Well, thank you for portraying to me that I am incorrect in my thinking, as I was clearly under the wrong assumption that what I did was mathematically valid. Would you mind explaining why what I have done is incorrect?

If you differentiate the RHS, you will get four terms, two of which have derivatives of the 3rd order.

I understand. Thank you again for your help.

Related to Is the Proof for Normalization in Quantum Mechanics Valid?

What is quantum mechanics proof?

Quantum mechanics proof refers to the set of mathematical and experimental evidence that supports the principles and predictions of quantum mechanics, a branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

How is quantum mechanics proven?

Quantum mechanics is proven through a combination of mathematical equations and experimental observations. These include experiments such as the double-slit experiment and the observation of quantum entanglement, which demonstrate the probabilistic nature of quantum particles and their ability to exist in multiple states simultaneously.

Why is quantum mechanics considered a fundamental theory?

Quantum mechanics is considered a fundamental theory because it forms the basis for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. It has been extensively tested and has consistently been shown to accurately describe the behavior of particles in experiments. It also provides the foundation for other theories, such as quantum field theory and quantum information theory.

What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics proof?

Quantum mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including the development of new technologies such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It also plays a crucial role in modern cryptography and quantum computing, which have the potential to revolutionize information security and computing power.

Are there any challenges to quantum mechanics proof?

While quantum mechanics has been extensively tested and verified, there are still some challenges to fully understanding and proving its principles. These include the difficulty of reconciling quantum mechanics with general relativity, as well as the interpretation of quantum phenomena and the role of consciousness in quantum measurements. These challenges continue to be explored and debated by scientists.